1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding a dvd player, which one to buy ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skooterbum, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skooterbum

skooterbum Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2039 Mb
    Graphics Card: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR, 8 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 19061 MB, Free - 6949 MB;
    Motherboard: ECS, P4VMM2
    Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

like my title says, i'm wanting to add a dvd player to my PC.

i don't think that i will need to burn any dvd's.

i have a cd-rw that works ok. other than the tray won't open if it is empty ??

with the devices that are available today, would i be better off buying a combo unit, that plays and burns dvd's, and cd's both, and eliminate the cd player that i have ??

or should i just look for a plain dvd player ??

also, what is a reliable / respectable brand to buy ??

ron

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Doesn't much matter, I'd say. From your system specs, I expect you need an IDE/PATA drive, so any of these drives would be perfectly adequate. Honestly I would say the cheapest LG on the list is just fine for your needs. Since XP doesn't include built-in DVD playback support, you will need a player like the excellent, free, VLC Media Player. Buying a read only drive as opposed to a burner would only save $5 or so. For $5 I'd like to keep the burning option. DVD burners will also handle burning CD's just fine, so I'd suggest dumping the old drive.

3. skooterbum

skooterbum Thread Starter

fantastic !! thanks for taking the time to respond, and offer your suggestions !!

ron

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice