1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a FAT32 drive to XP w/ NTFS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Whitt, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whitt

Whitt Thread Starter

My first post here, so please be gentle :p

I'm going to go into some detail just in case something in here will be responsible for my problem.

I just picked up a new PC and installed XP on it last night (XP Home SP2). Just in case it matters it's a P4 2.4c (800 MHz FSB and HT), 512MB, 80GB, 64MB 8X AGP, DVD/CD-ROM, 16x Dual Layer DVD burner, 7-in-one floppy (which shows up as 3 drives - floppy and 2 separate removable drives)

After formatting the drive with NTFS and installing XP I then installed Norton System Works and Norton Personal Firewall. I then connected to the web and updated XP and Norton.

I then connected the drive from my old PC (98SE), a 10.2 GB Western Digital EIDE with FAT32. XP stated it detected new hardware but I could not find the drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

I went to My Computer > Properties >Hardware and the drive was shown there as active and functioning properly. It was also listed on the list of drives in (I think this is what it's called) "Computer Management" that is found in Accessories. It shows as being FAT32, it states the right size and that it's ok but it doesn't indicate a drive letter and the only option it would give me was to delete the partition which it stated would delete all the files on the drive.

So my question is, how can I transfer my old files from these (I have 2) older FAT32 drives?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. squidboy

squidboy

Welcome. We'd like to hear more details about your current HD and how you connected the 'old' HD...and thank you for the thorough description, that was helpful.

To be specific, to chain one IDE HD on another you need to set one as master and one as slave via the jumpers physically on the HD itself, or set both as master and attach the other drive using the 2nd IDE port on your motherboard. It could be set to CS but I'll ask about that later ;)

Assuming your 80gig is EIDE as well (correct me if I'm wrong) how did you connect the 2nd drive and what cable did you use?

3. Whitt

Whitt Thread Starter

I set the jumpers so the 80GB was the master and the 10.2GB was the slave, with both being connected along the same cable. Upon bootup I went into Setup and they showed respectively as Primary master/slave in the BIOS.

The 80GB is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

Thanks for the quick response

4. squidboy

squidboy

Howdy,

Ok, be sure the master drive (your 80gig) is on the middle connector of the drive ribbon and the slave is on the end connector.

Also, be sure the drive connectors are oriented correctly. That is, pin 1 needs to be connected to wire1. One side of the drive ribbon is painted 'red' which designates pin 1 and needs to be connected to pin 1 on the HD.

The (usually) black connector on the ribbon has a faint arrow/triangle that needs to be aligned with the '1' pin on your HD, which should be labelled as well, also a faint black '1'.

5. Whitt

Whitt Thread Starter

They are connected properly with the 80GB on the middle connector. Also I think the ribbon won't fit the wrong way around. I assume it's all connected properly as the system recognizes it has a 10.2GB FAT32 drive attached to it. I just can't seem to see/use the drive in Windows Explorer is all.

6. moper

moper

In "disk Management" is it listed as Healthy(Active) or Healthy(Unknown)? Did you ever have GOBACK installed in the old computer? Did the old computer ever have a drive overlay program, like EZBIOS, installed?

moper

7. Whitt

Whitt Thread Starter

In Disk Management it's listed as Healthy and I did have Go Back on the old system... sigh, I think I'm not going to like what your answer is going to be.

8. Whitt

Whitt Thread Starter

Hmm.. I just read my reply and realized I didn't answer your question. I'm pretty sure it was Healthy/Active.

9. moper

moper

Put the drive back in the original computer and uninstall Goback.

moper

10. Whitt

Whitt Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, one and all.

I uninstalled GoBack and that did the trick. I seem to have had nothing but problems ever since installing Norton System Works and Firewall. I think I'll delete them and go with just AntiVirus.

Again, your help was/is greatly appreciated.

11. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

BE SURE to use the Semantec/Norton method of removing "System Works!!" DO NOT use the generic Ws remove program method! I really fouled up my system by making that mistake. {redoak}

12. BANGZOOM

BANGZOOM

My first post, please accept my novice approach,
    --How do I set properties of a Hd to "removable" in Xp?
    I recently added a new xp P4 #.2Ghz system. "Old" was win98. I am connecting through SCSI to an Hd formatted to FAT32, or FAT (not sure, as it is an external kuzweil keyboard with an INternal "fixed" Hd with a proprietary format to kurzweil).
    Reguardless, IT WORKS with my win98 and minME machines, seemlessly. All I have to do on them, is boot up w/ SCSI connection to the keyboard/drive, go into device manager, and change the properties of it to "removable drive", and BAM, I'm in buisiness.
    But on XP machine, :boot up, device mngr, and disk mngmnt, ALL recognize the drive, "online", etc., but it does not show up in "my computer". This is the point where, on 98 & ME, I can find it in device Mngr, and simply right click properties of it, and check the box-"removable drive", but no such option found in XP!!
    ---Ive tried reformatting the drive in every format through windows (XP),ie. NTFS, FAT32, FAT, AND from its host (Kurzweil seuto dos), but then there is no cross platform, (either Kurzweil, or XP cant read files written to it from the other).
    It seems that the difference of it WORKING beautifully (98 & ME) has to do with my initial question. How do I make XP consider it to be a "removable" drive, as in 98 or ME??

Much Thanks,
    Bangzoom

13. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"B": I suggest you repost your request for help as a "New Thread," if you do not have a response from a knowledgeable person within a couple days. I am unable to help. {redoak}

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice