Solved Adding a font to OpenOffice v.4

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Orangehues

I have a file done in OpenOffice. After updating to version 4, the old English style font in the file auto-converted to a sans-serif font. The new version does not contain this old English font that I would really like to have. I can't even recall the exact name of the previous font, but will accept any of that style. Is it possible to download one from the web and use it in my file in some way? I have no experience with managing fonts. My computer is a desktop with XP with no contact with the web. I have to download with my laptop (sys 8) and transfer any files by thumb drive. The laptop also has OpenOffice 4 installed. If you want, I can send a jpeg of the hard copy so you can view the font.

When an updated Publisher program dropped a favorite font that I used a LOT, I Googled it, found a free download, and put it on my desktop. Then I searched for the place where fonts are stored (in Windows 10 it is through Control Panel and Fonts, which is very handy) and did a drag & drop to save it there. It was then available in Publisher and all other programs that needed it. Bottom line: do a Google search and download a freebie into your laptop. You should know what to do at that point.

Orangehues, can you please confirm the only change between the font was available and the font disappeared was an OpenOffice upgrade?

EBSchrader is right: Fonts tend to be managed by the operating system not the publishing software. In addition, font functionality is generally not removed during an upgrade. The only thing I can think of that might cause that to happen in OpenOffice (since it's free) is if the font was no longer licensed as free to use.

Without the font name, I don't know if we'll be able to answer this definitively, but you might be able to find it for us if it still exists on your computer. Windows XP has a program called Wordpad that allows rich-text formatting. If you can use that font in a Wordpad document, then it still exists on your computer, and we'd need to know the name.

If OpenOffice installs its own fonts (which it very well might) and this isn't a licensing issue, there's a good chance you can get it back by downloading an older version of OpenOffice and extracting the fonts folder only. Maybe it was accidentally deleted from the OpenOffice v.4 package.

I dunno, those are just some ideas.

chris.

I neglected to mention that Publisher TOLD me the name of the font it could not find, so that made it easier to locate it with Google. Did OpenOffice tell you the font name?

Orangehues

EB -- I had no problem with finding what I want and have downloaded two: one is Cloister Black and the other is called Canterbury. I believe Cloister Black was the font name I had before. (I checked WordPad as chris suggested and it is not on the XP.) The files came in in a program called 7-Zip. Now, do I "Open" or "Extract" the files? Also should I transfer them from laptop to desktop as "zipped" or open/extracted?

EB -- I had no problem with finding what I want and have downloaded two: one is Cloister Black and the other is called Canterbury. I believe Cloister Black was the font name I had before. (I checked WordPad as chris suggested and it is not on the XP.) The files came in in a program called 7-Zip. Now, do I "Open" or "Extract" the files? Also should I transfer them from laptop to desktop as "zipped" or open/extracted?
If you have no need for the font in your laptop, then I would suggest transferring the file(s) zipped. When you unzip them in your desktop, find the location where your fonts are stored as suggested before, and either drag & drop the font there or use whatever method you are most comfortable with to do so. I hope this helps. :)

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
You use an Unzip utility of which there are many choices.
Later Windows even have one built in to its File Manager.

Orangehues

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't thank you enough. My problem is solved and my OpenOffice brochure now has its old look. Along the way, I learned so much! I also was unsure where on my thumb drive to store documents as I had previously only used it for photos which is a separate folder. I did make one mistake and it was fortunate that I had downloaded two fonts. The first one went into the icon of the drive of the thumb drive, the second went into the documents folder. I didn't need to extract the files from the 7-Zip program after all. Maybe my XP does this automatically as Dave suggested? I found my thumb drive in Windows Explorer and took the file that was labeled ttf and just dragged and dropped it into the (Control Panel) > Fonts folder of my computer. Then I opened OpenOffice and my brochure file. The font had changed, but it was not yet the font I wanted. This is where my mistake showed up. I changed the text to the other font in the docs folder, which worked fine. Then, I changed from that to the font that was stored in the drive section of the thumb drive and somehow I got what I wanted. That was how I learned to store the files in a folder on my thumb drive. Duh-h-h.
This is the second time this website has helped me solve a problem. I intend to tell everyone I know about Tech Support Guy. It's especially helpful for seniors who, like myself may not have much income. Your caring service is greatly appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online