Adding a Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RPhox

I've been given a 20 gig hard drive and thought it would be a good idea to add it to my pc for some additional storage.

My questions :

1) Is there a site that lists a step-by-step process for doing the job?
2) If I already have a C drive and the new drive also has a C, will it cause a conflict that I need to prepare for before I install it?
3) Will it dramatically slow down my pc if I have 2 separate, physical drives?
4) Are there any other problems I should consider?

RFox
Pentium III
256 RAM
Windows XP Pro

The link below will give you some basic info.

Putting in a second drive should be no problem. First you need to set the jumper on the end where the cables hook in to slave. Then you put it in and hook it to the second connector on the cable that your hard drive is hook to. (Make sure the strip on the cable goes nearest the power connector) This drive will be your d drive moving any cd drives up one letter. You will have to go into the bios to set it to autodetect the drive. Should be shown as primary slave in the bios.

it should not effect the speed of your computer to a noticeable point.

if you have any problems come back and we will help you.

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/idedrv1.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online