1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a hardrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by churchpunk1123, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. churchpunk1123

churchpunk1123 Thread Starter

so my computer quit working and it was time for a new one anyway so i bought a new one. i want to retrieve the files from my old hard drive and put them on my new one. when i tried plugging it into the slave ide, windows wouldnt start up. so i think it is trying to start up from my old hard drive. how do it tell the computer which hard drive is the master? is there any other alternative ways to retrieve my files?

thank you for any help

2. Rache

Rache Banned

You need to get into bios to change the bootup order. On bootup press key which it says to press to get into setup (an F key or Delete). Use Esc, Enter, Arrows and PgUp/PgDn keys to navigate. If you make a mistake you can exit bios without saving.

3. euinka

euinka

Also, make sure that the hard drive which you wish to boot from has the jumpers set as Master. The jumpers can be found right next to the IDE pins on the hard drive. Do this also for your old hard drive, except this time set the jumpers as Slave.

The positions of the jumpers are often embossed on the underside of the HD, or more commonly on the top where the specifications are printed.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't boot from an old drive on a new computer so disregard both suggestions above.

You have to set the jumpers on the old drive to slave.

5. euinka

euinka

Which is what I suggested.

6. bernardus

bernardus

Did you install Windows on your new drive or just copied it from your old drive?
    I have had problems with diskclone. Some drives have a different structure and windows Xp will make a kind of fingerprint from your OS. But I also had succesfully cloned an old drive into a new one. This could only work on the same PC. Other files must be able to be copied.

bernardus

7. sexnage

sexnage

I just did what CHURCH did but my problem is not about booting or recognizing the drive, I did what you guy said to change the boot order, and it boots fine. My problem is to open the files from the slave drive.

I can see both drive my master which runs windows VISTA and my slave from my old pc which runs on Windows XP. I can see both and open both drives, the problem is trying to access the files from the slave drive is driving me crazy. I have 17.7 gb of files that I need to get back or copy into my master documents folder, exmaple; Adobe, word, excel, corel and so forth files that I need to get back, and when I click on a file it gives me the permision denied message. I go to the settings or property on the slave drive and check all the tabs to gain full access as administratror or user but still not working.

I still not being able to see or open a file. No matter what file is I can not open it.

I had done this before and I was able to open the slave or master files without any problems. But this time I just dont know what to do.

Can anyone please help me out here??? please???

Thank you much.

Jaime

8. bernardus

bernardus

Sexnage
    I have to find out because I don't work yet with Vista. But I suppose that you probably have no full control over your PC? In Vista you have a trick to get this full control otherwise you have no exess.

Option 1:
    1. Go to your 'C:\Windows\System32\xy-XY' directory and locate user32.dll.mui (Where C:\ is the drive you installed Vista on, and 'xy-XY' is the folder corresponding to your language: en-US for English, fr-FR for French, de-DE for german, etc)

2. Right-click user32.dll.mui and select Properties. Go to the Security tab and click the 'Advanced' button. Go to the 'Owner' tab and click the 'Edit' button. Select 'Administrators' and click 'Apply'. You have now taken ownership of the file, as Windows will point out to you.

3. Close the property windows. Right-click user32.dll.mui again and select Properties. Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button. Now double-click 'Administrators' in the list and tick the 'allow' box for 'Full control'. Close the property windows again.

Are you able to reach the files with XP?

9. sexnage

sexnage

I did everything as you said here, but under the administrator list, it will not let me check or uncheck any box.

and it shows that I have no full access as administrator to the files.

10. bernardus

bernardus

This confirms that you have no full access. but you did not answer my question about XP.
    I regularly use Hiren's bootup CD. It contains software that copies or opens eccess to files. It also has some explorer looking mini-XP software.
    Because it runs on it's own it could be a way to copy your files out of the restricted area.
    Another problem could be that the clone software protects the file. I had that before. Under cloning you may enter this option to protect your original drive.
    Have you tried to reach the files in safe mode?

11. sexnage

sexnage

I followed step by step your instructions. The letter C is my slave drive and the letter H is my master drive which runs windows Vista. All my files on on drive C that runs XP. when I go to setup the restrictions everything is already lock and I can see that there is no full access to the computer.

I got stuck here. Cloning I am not that familiar with this issue or the hirens bootup cd. Can you give me more info on those issues??

I will try on safe mode, right now.

Thank you for your time and support.

12. sexnage

sexnage

I just tried on safe mode and the same scenario.

What I am thinking on doing is to remove the slave drive, installed in another pc that runs windows xp and then copy the files onto a usb drive, from them transfer them to the new pc.

I dont know what else to do.

Any ideas guys???/ pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

me

13. bernardus

bernardus

PErhaps this will help?
    http://www.jimmah.com/vista/security/access_denied.aspx

Why do I get an Access Denied error when trying to save my files?
    In Windows Vista, the programs that you use are always opened with "normal user" permissions, even if you are an administrator. This has some unfortunate side effects that you normally wouldn't encounter in Windows XP when logged in as an administrator.
    (For more information on this behavior, please read an overview of UAC and What's changed in Vista)
    One major side effect is that it is very difficult to modify files that you did not create from within Windows Vista.
    Most files cannot be modified unless you created the file, or the program you are using to modify the file is running with "administrator" permissions. This can be a bit of a pain when upgrading from Windows XP or dual booting, as you will generally not have full access to files created from another operating system.
    The solution to this problem is to give yourself full access to your files. This can be done very easily by following these steps:
    Part 1: Open an Administrator Explorer window
    1. Click Start
    2. Type: explorer
    3. Right-click Windows Explorer
    4. Click Run As Administrator
    This will open an "Administrator" explorer window. Every action that you take from this window will be executed with full Administrator permissions.
    Part 2: Change security settings
    1. Find the folder you need access to from the Administrator Explorer window
    2. Right-click it
    3. Click Properties
    4. Click the Security Tab
    5. Click Edit
    6. Click Add
    7. If you are the only one that needs modify access to this file, type your username and press enter. Otherwise, type "Users" and press enter.
    8. Click the checkbox under Allow next to Full Control
    9. Click OK
    10. Click OK
    You will need to repeat Part 2 for every folder that you need modify

14. bernardus

bernardus

Sexnage

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Wi...4562-aee7-4fed-8316-89114dc973031033.mspx#E3H

installed a new version of Windows Vista and now I can't open a folder.

This could occur for the following reasons:
    • Some of your user account information has changed, even though your user name and password have not changed. You might be able to resolve the problem by taking ownership of the folder.
    To take ownership of a folder
    1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    3. Click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
    5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    6. Click OK.

• You are trying to access folders that have been renamed or moved in this version of Windows.
    Many folders that were used in previous versions of Windows have been renamed or moved to a new location in this version. These folders are hidden by default but can be viewed if you show hidden files and folders. These folders cannot be opened, moved, or deleted; they serve only as a pointer to the new location. The contents of the folders have been put in the new location in Windows Vista. The following table shows a list of commonly used folders' previous and new locations.

Read the whole article, your files may have been moved and received another name?

UAC mode (also known as Admin Approval Mode) is a mode of operation that (primarily) affects the way administrator accounts work.

When UAC is turned on (which it is by default), you must explicitly give permission to any program that wants to use "administrator" powers. Any program that tries to use admin powers without your permission will be denied access.

UAC is also required for other security features of Windows Vista, including Protected Mode in Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer Protected Mode protects your computer from rogue web pages and other web-related vulnerabilities, including unknown ones.

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/security/uac.aspx

Note to Administrators
    The behavior of the Run As Administrator command is different from the Run As... command in Windows XP.

This command does not run the program in the context of the built-in administrator, as you might have expected.

If the currently logged on user is a member of the Administrators group, the program is given administrator access to the system, but still runs in the context of the currently logged on user.

However, if the currently logged on user is not a member of the Administrators group, the program will run in the context of the administrator account that was used to authenticate with the UAC dialog.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice