1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding a network printer, wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unknown6, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unknown6

unknown6 Thread Starter

I recently obtained a Samsung CLX3175FW color laser printer. The following is a window copy of the TSG SysInfo of my computer as a starting point. The printer is suppose to be wireless, but I can't get it to hook up to my network. I have contacted Samsung and have done everything they could think of, but no luck. I took it to another location and another router; it made the wireless connection with no difficulties. So, what do I do?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8191 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series , 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 214899 MB, Free - 166464 MB; D: Total - 500400 MB, Free - 360582 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 31 MB; F: Total - 1430796 MB, Free - 1111545 MB; G: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 177879 MB; H: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 417331 MB; I: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 318774 MB; J: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1477791 MB; K: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1024618 MB; L: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1682421 MB; M: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1314683 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M4A78-E, Rev 1.xx, MS1C92B90401349
    Antivirus: System Shield, Updated and Enabled

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what type of security do you have on your wireless - WEP, WPA, WPA2 and what was on the wireless that worked ?

are you assigning IP address for the printer or using DHCP , so that the router supplied the IP to the printer

3. unknown6

unknown6 Thread Starter

The type of security is "WPA-personal only" is what it says on my device (router) page. The other router had, I guess no security. I didn't even have to load a security key.
    I am using a static IP.

If it is the security level, then how do I remove it, and then, put it back since I don't want an unsecure connection. Also, under a Status, then logs page for my router device page, it has the following:
    [INFO]Tue Jan 11 13:29:35 2011Shazam: Wireless system with MAC address 001599760BF4 secured and linkedThis is my samsung printer. Other times it is [INFO]Tue Jan 11 13:29:31 2011xxxxxx: Wireless system with MAC address 001599760BF4 secured and linked

Where do I go from here? Thx

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    log into the router and remove the wireless security - probably a dropdown to disable or radio button depending on make / model / revision
    you can always go back and re-enable to the same type of encryption and key

5. unknown6

unknown6 Thread Starter

Well, for one reason or another, I changed the encryption, and all, but wound up have to reintialize the network, because I reset the router. That seemed to have been the problem. The printer just wasn't being recognized on the network. It is now online, at the security level originally set and working fine with two of my computers. The third is not getting the doc to the printer. It does not seem to be going 'print to file', but status says Error. Where do I go from here?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what windows version on each machine - make sure we know which is working with printer and which is not and also how each is connected cable or wireless and what firewall you have on each pc and if enabled

for example
    printer working - PC1 - windows XP - cable to router - firewall on mcafee
    printer working - PC2 - windows vista - wireless - firewall on norton
    printer NOT working - PC3 - windows 7 - wireless - firewall on McAfee

7. unknown6

unknown6 Thread Starter

Ok I thank you. The anti-virus I was using was removing a link of some sort from the printer driver or something. Anyway, I disabled the quantine of this particular "virus" and the printer is working fine.:):D(y)

Now, out of all of this I think I have created a bigger problem. My laptop, having a number of viruses on it, I tried to clean it. by that I mean deleting the partitions and re-formating. Now, I can't get the laptop to load windows. I just get a message saying press any key to continue. I do, but the laptop doesn't recognize the cd in the dvd drive I guess and I keep getting a repeat of the press any key to continue. Once again what do I do on this one. Thx Jim:confused:

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    make and model of the laptop

how have you reformated the harddrive - using a laptop utility recovery program or using and booting from a recovery CD

9. unknown6

unknown6 Thread Starter

Hi again. I hadn't noticed b4, but this is international fixit, eh? Surrey, UK (England). Nice to talk with you.

Anyway, the laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio G55-Q804. It is a re-conditioned laptop and I didn't get any cd's, software, and I didn't make any recovery disks. I have re-formatted the HHD and now I can't even get into windows. I looked at Toshibas site and tried the "free" recovery process. Hold down the (0) zero while powering up, wait for the recovery screen and follow prompts. All I get is insert system disc and press any key when ready. I am thinking that I have other problems and even buying the software disks won't bring it back. I think I have even messed up the proprietary portion of the HD.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you could run ubuntu on the PC - OR you could run as a virtual OS and see if the PC at least works
    you could also download UBCD4windows - http://www.ubcd4win.com/ - various diagnostic tools included

UBUNTU
    It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
    This will at least test the Hardware and also see if you can see the Harddrive

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

YOu can also run from a USB device now - if the Machine supports booting off a USB Stick
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

full details are here (Note this is for version 9 - so the start up options are slightly different )
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will A screen - with Language on the left panel and two option images

== > Try ubuntu
    == > Install ubuntu

You can try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer, directly from this CD

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
    This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

You may see your Harddrive on the desktop - if not have in look in the places on the tool bar at the top of the screen.

============================================================================

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice