1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a new hard drive to an XP machine.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morania, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I just installed a shiny new hard drive to my computer. The jumper/s are correct. The power is fine. The ribbon is fine.
    When I boot up, WinXP finds new hardware, identifies it correctly and lists it in the device manager just fine but it won't list it in My Computer so I can't get it partitioned and formatted.
    I have found one or two links in sites that pertain to just this problem but the articles are no longer available at Microsoft's site. Searching the knowledge is fruitless.
    Send you links, please. It sounds like this happens a lot.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

start > run > diskmgmt.msc

3. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I found the disc manager in the control panel and opened it up. THere was my new hard drive waiting to be initialized. I set it up and started formatting. After about 76 percent it stopped, declaring that the formatting was not completed. Now the drive manager can not or will not find the drive again. The drive is in hardware and it's properly listed in the BIOS. The memory check screen lists a primary slave at 26 or so Megs. Maybe I should go into DOS and format the drive but when I type in drive D: it says invalid.
    This is a drag. I hope this new hard drive isn't bad.

4. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

One other thing.
    The master is formatted in FAT32 and the only choice I had to format the new one was in NTFS, so I chose it. Will that cause me a problem?

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How did you partition it before you formatted it.

6. Morania

Morania Thread Starter

I asked Maxtor about setting up multiple partitions to keep the formatting process from timing out. They said it doesn't matter.
    As it turns out, I found some good software on their site and ran a diagnostic on the drive. It came back with and error and should be replaced soon.
    If Windows won't format a drive or won't recognize the drive formatted using manufacturer's software, then the drive is probably hosed up. That's my new lesson.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice