1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShenaniganS, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS Thread Starter

I am thinking of upgrading my hard drive on my other computer. I have currently a 40 GB on it running windows home edition. I want to upgrade to a 80 or possibly a 120 GB hard drive. The thing is that i dont know how to do it and was wondering if I could get help from this forum on how to put it in. Also i was wodering if it would be possible to keep everything that i have on my old hard drive and put it on to the new hard drive. Thank you in advance.

2. active95

active95

If you will buy the drive retail, will have all the info need it .It will have diagrams and and step by step instructions.
    And yes it's not a problem. Will need to make old hdd as a "slave" and the new hdd master, then can use the winXP wizzard to transfer most of the stuff
    HTH

3. active95

active95

oh yes.. i forgot .... u need to post info about the old drive ( make and model ) to tell you how to make it slave.

4. Bruce319

Bruce319

To sumerize, yes you can insert another hard drive and keep everything you have alone. The new hard drive will probably be labeled E, if not the next available letter F. Make sure to set the jumper of the old hard drive to Master and Slave for the new one and you need to have a cable that can support two hard drives.
    Once the connection is made, you then need to format your hard drive. I would suggest searching the web on how to install a second hard drive for detailed description.

5. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS Thread Starter

We thanx for the reply's. I was wondering also if the following was possible. I do want to start fresh with a new hd but I have about 15 gigs of music and videos that i want to keep. I was wondering if i can copy those 15 gigs on to my others computers hd and then put it back in to my new hd. Is that possible?

Oh about the make and model about my old hd its a

Seagate Barracuda ATA IV St340016A, 40 Gb, 7200 Rpm

Thanx in advace.

6. active95

active95

Sure.. you can copy as long as you :
    a. have the computers networked.
    b. want to take the hard drive out , insert it in the other computer ( making sure that is set up proper <master or slave>.
    And to copy back the files , just reverse the things above :)
    For the Seagate... follow this link http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/ref/jumper_settings.html . Will show how to set it the hdd as a slave
    HTH

7. PROJECT

PROJECT

The easiest way i sto setup your new hard drive, once that is completed add your old hard drive as slave (2nd drive) and just copy from the old drive and paste to the new one

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Copy & Paste is a bit intense for that much volume. The simplest way to move that many files is to navagate to the files on the slave drive and "right click" and "send" them to the C drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice