1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a new video card.. help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by refinedandroid, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. refinedandroid

refinedandroid Thread Starter

Okay, so I just got a new computer, this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7810486

I'd like to upgrade by adding the max amount of memory and a new video card - probably this one, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...812&SRCCODE=PRICEGRABBER&CMP=OTC-PRICEGRABBER

Thing is, I'm not sure if the power supply can take it - I'm kind of a newb to this stuff. Is there any way you guys could tell me what my power supply is and if I'll need another one?

Thanks in advance.. I really appreciate any help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Look at the sticker on it and see how many watts it is.

But if you even need to ask, you probably ought to get a better one. Even if it barely supports the card, you may want to add other things later.

3. refinedandroid

I'm not sure because I don't know what kind of power supply it came with. I was hoping I could find out without opening the case? But I guess not..

Thanks for the help!

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There are no specifications on the power supply at that site so I cannot help you on the wattage; but, I can tell you the power supply in Dell systems are usually proprietary and don't have the same bolt pattern or size that will allow you to use a "generic" supply.

I'm sure I will get flak for this; but, I would not buy any system with Vista on it. I run a service business and I can tell you my Vista customers are paying, on average, twice as much as users of 2000 and XP to get the same configuration work done simply because Vista has put in so much security as to make service very difficult. Read on.

It isn't often a major publication will come out with a bold statement that a product from a worldwide-leading company is just plain bad; but, PC World, the world's second largest PC publication, did just that last month. They call it the number-one biggest tech disappointment of 2007. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140583-page,5-c,techindustrytrends/article.html

Also, wide surveys are being taken and nationwide, 90% of IT managers do not see Vista as an "upgrade" and are intending to skip over it and wait for whatever comes next.

I'm not telling you to return the computer; I'm just telling you I would not want vista. I just think people should have all the informatiuon they can get before making a big decision.

You can get Windows XP on any Dell, HP or Compaq system by ordering from their on-line business division.

5. refinedandroid

Oh, I know. I hate Vista and I've only had the computer for a few days. I do have a Windows XP disc - I could get XP installed and be rid of Vista, right?

In any case, does that mean I'll have to buy a special "Dell" power supply for the computer? x_x I'd really like a new video card for it, the graphics aren't too good. I only play a few games, nothing more graphic intensive than WoW or The Sims 2, but still..

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Newer Dells can usually take any commercial psu, it's only the older ones that had the proprietary issue.

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You'll just have to check the size, shape and bolt pattern to know if it is standard. If it is, you'll have a lot more choices and at better prices. There are some aftermarket companies that offer supplies for proprietary systems. The best way to tell might be to take the supply to a local repair center and ask them to tell you.

Important: Beware of cheap power supplies. In some cases they don't supply even half the wattage they tout and can cause multiple imitations of various problems where only very experienced techs would suspect the supply. You will not, in my opinion, find any good supply under about $55. The ones I use in my systems all cost between $60 and $90, and I'm not a gamer. All my current supplies are Antec.

When I learned the difference between good and poor-quality supplies, about 90% of my computer problems just vanished. A poor supply can even kill a main board.

There are some systems that are sold with what I would call a shallow area for the supply, meaning the distance between the back of the CD/DVD drives and the back of the case is short and will require a shorter-than-average depth supply. Be sure you consider that when getting your replacement. Also, I've seen some Dell systems with proprietary connections on the motherboard, requiring a Dell exact replacement. But, that is rare.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/673675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice