1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a second account to OE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bklynyc, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bklynyc

bklynyc Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up a second account in OE5.5. If I understand it correctly, according to this thread, accounts, I can either add the second account to my current identity (2 accounts in 1 identity), or create a second identity and add my second account to that one (2 identities with 1 account per identity).

How do I go about adding to my existing identity? (Tools >Accounts>Add>Mail>Diasplay Name-Next>Then what?) If I select "I already have an e-mail adress that I'd like to use", will it delete my old e-mail account?

This is my personal computer, I acces it alone, so privacy is not an issue. What are the advantanges and disadvantages of each method?

Thanxinadvance.

2. Piringa

Piringa

Well if your the only user on that machine you should just go with the second oe account or email. If you just add the new email account under the same "identity" whenever you open oe it will download all the email from all of your accounts and if set up correctly it will put them in according folders. I have my isp's email and a hotmail account in oe and it works great. Since I use both email accounts security does not matter.

You can do that by going to tools accounts click on the mail tab and hit add.

If you want an email account which someone else can use and you want them to be separate, you will have to make a new identity or log on thingy to windows. Then just set up a new email account in oe and it won't mess with any other accounts from other users.

well I know this can be done in xp but I dont know about 95,98,me

3. Del

Del

No, won't delete your old account.
    When display name comes up, put whatever you want to use,
    hit Next, put your new email address in there and hit next.
    Put you pop and smtp server names here, will probably be the same if with the same ISP hit next and put in your password, then click next and finish.
    Done

:D

4. bklynyc

bklynyc Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll try Del's sugestion. However, I can't remember my pop and smtp server addresses. I use aol for internet access, but hotmail for both my accounts. I'm gonna dump aol soon. Will I have to change any OE settings when I make an ISP switch?

Thanks.

5. bklynyc

bklynyc Thread Starter

By the way, thanks Piringa for reviving the thread. Two days? I was getting a bit worried.

How does the "compress (email) files" function work in OE? How would you open compressed mail? (i.e. in aol you can compact your email to conserve space, but open them normally.)

Thanksinadvance.

6. Del

Del

If you go to Tools > Accounts > Click Mail Tab.
    Double click your existing account and then the Servers tab.
    Look at what you used for your existing account, ie pop and smtp server info.

7. Del

Del

In OE, all your folders have 2 files, for example Inbox.dbx and inbox.mbx; one has all the inbox emails in it and the other tell OE where one stops and the other starts.
    If I'm not wrong, compress just gets rid of wasted space in the files, sort of like defrag..

8. bklynyc

bklynyc Thread Starter

Thanks Del. It turned out eprfect. :)

9. Del

Del

You're welcome, have a great day.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice