1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding a second hard drive to old machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeffbay, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeffbay

jeffbay Thread Starter

Hi guys! :D

I decided to add another hard drive to an old machine i have, but it didn't work! as u might ave guessed!

the alread installed drive remains the master drive, but when i add the second drive onto the cable, as the slave drive, the master refuses to boot, it is not detected. I entered F1 setup, where opportunities for 4 hard drives exist but, only the master is listed as connected and the other three options are unchanegable, what do i do? :confused:

2. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Check your jumper on the hard drive (on the back of the drive). There will be a key on the top of the drive telling you where the jumper / jumpers go.
    Try a different IDE channel (the flat ribbon cable).
    Make sure there are no kinks or cuts in the IDE cable.
    Does you BIOS support a drive with the capasity of the new one?

If it is an older machine, you are probably better off imaging the new drive with your OS and using the older drive as a slave.

3. winbob

winbob

Jeff,

Some HD's have a jumper position for "Master/Single Drive" and a separate position for "Master w/Slave". Make sure you have the correct setting.

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

echo?

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

In addition to what was mentioned...

The master drive, by any chance is it a Western Digital drive ?

Because with WD drives, if it is a single drive on the IDE ribbon cable the jumper is removed, you will have to reinsert the jumper if you put another drive on the same IDE ribbon cable...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice