1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a second Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monroefamily, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monroefamily

monroefamily Thread Starter

HELP PLEASE!!!

I am running 64MB-10 GIG-WIN 98 2nd addition on a gateway desktop. I need to know if the avg do it your selfer can add an additional hard drive to their existing system. If so what would be compatible with mine? And would I have to install a 2nd operating system or could I run it off my existing drive C?

If someone could offr some advice I would greatly appreciate it!!

2. Monk_

Monk_

Adding a drive is actually very easy if you are not afraid to open your PC. Any good quality drive will work fine, what you select depends on your needs and budget, I prefer Seagate but there are other good brands. Before you start please give a little more info: is there a CD, CDR or Zip drive on the system now? Do you have the documentation that came with your PC, specifically anything showing you the layout of the Mothereboard? It isnt critical but can be helpful if you can refer to a manual to locate the Controller that you need to attach the new drive. You may need an additional IDE cable.
    As far as the OS is concerned, Win98SE on drive C is your OS. Any additional hard drive provides added storage so it does not require it's own OS.
    Post back and I am sure you will receive plenty of good information from the folks on here.

3. monroefamily

monroefamily Thread Starter

Well- I do have a dvd drive-a zip (100) drive and a 31/2 flopy drive and a cdr rw drive but it does not write (i installed it myself ) so I am probably lucky it even operates at all. I am not sure about my motherboard. Is there somewhere on my system that will tell me? I am very grateful for your reply!

I actually have enough pace to add another drive to my system......at least on front(?)

As you can probably already tell I am not the most technically informed about my system but I AM WILLING TO LEARN!!!

As far as cost I would need a reasonably priced hard drive. would a external one be easie/cheaper?

THX AGAIN!!!

4. angel

angel

Based on what you said you have now (1. Hard drive, 2. dvd drive, 3. zip drive, 4. cdr rw), it doesn't sound like you have any room for another drive. You would need to purchase an add-on controller card.

5. Monk_

Monk_

I agree with angel, 4 is the limit for onboard controllers. When you look into buying a drive also look for an Ultra-ATA controller card, they really improve hard drive performance almost to the point of SCSI. With that card you can run both hard drives and leave to onboard controllers for your CD, DVD and Zip drives.

www.outpost.com
    www.warehouse.com
    www.pcconnection.com

can give you ideas of cost for both.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice