1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a Second HD in W98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 1966, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1966

1966 Thread Starter

I currently have an 8.4 gig harddrive with Win98SE. I want to do a fresh install on this drive and then add a second hd.What's the best way to set this thing up and make it work? What will 98SE do
    with the drive letters especially on drive D, my CD-ROM? All info
    appreciated. Thanks, 1966

2. brianF

brianF

cd rom is always last letter so one drive will be C, the other will be D, cdrom wil be E

Why not install the new drive as the master and do the fresh install to it, that way you could copy any data and personal files from the old drive you want then reformat it.

3. slipe

slipe

The drive letters always start sequentially from C for the drives and partitions. So if you had a C drive and a second HD with four partitions it would take D, E, F and G. There is no way to leave your CD-ROM as D and have the new HD select another letter.

Win98Se is not going to be a problem, but your motherboard might. 8.4 might be the largest drive your board can support without a BIOS update or overlay software for the HD. If the computer came with an 8.4 drive then there is likely a BIOS update that will accommodate a larger drive. The overlay software that will come with the HD will also allow your MB to use the drive in all likelihood. The overlay is safer than a BIOS flash but gets in the way sometimes.

If you go to your MB maker’s site and browse through the BIOS updates you will get a pretty good idea of whether you need to flash the BIOS to get the HD recognized without the overlay.

I would consider installing the new drive as the boot drive as it will likely be faster. You want your fastest drive as your boot drive.

Get back with what HD you get and how you want to set them up and someone will give you exact instructions. Some reading: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q255867
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/rhwatson/dos7/u-fdisk-1.html
    http://freepctech.com/pc/001/004.shtml (click “Installing Win98”)

4. 1966

1966 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good info. I want to really think this out before its done. My thought process is as follows and I certainly can be wrong on this but I'm going to add another 8.4 gig drive. Period.
    I'm thinking at this point that I will not have to upgrade my bio's
    because it accepts the current 8.4 gig harddrive and as a slave the OS should not have a problem with it. If I used it as an extended partion then the bio's and 98SE might have a problem
    because it sees a larger partion than it can handle. Comment's?
    Also I need to FDISk/mbr the second drive because it's a used drive and want it clean so I can start again. Comment's? I have
    Partion Magic 7.0 that I have yet to load but figure it could make for fast work of this issue.Comments? 1966

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice