1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a second router to my network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by erbad, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erbad

erbad Thread Starter

I have a home network that is up and running. It consists of a cable modem, a non-wireless router and two computers.

My cable provider provides me with two DHCP IP addresses that are pingable on the Internet.

I would like to connect a second router to my network and give it the second DHCP IP address that my Internet providers gives me.

How would I do that?

Thank you

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Add a small ethernet switch between the modem and the routers.

3. erbad

erbad Thread Starter

Hi Terrynet

Would you know if there is a way to do this without a separate switch?

I used to have a switch into which both routers connected and it worked well. However, the switch failed and I thought this might be a nice time to remove one device from my network if it is possible?

Thank you

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

That is pretty much how you need to do it.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Only if you can find a modem with a built in switch (multiple ethernet ports).

6. erbad

erbad Thread Starter

Thanks, unfortunately, my modem only has one network connection so it looks like I'll have to buy another intermediary device.

The failed switch that I had was quite old. This will be a chance to upgrade my network and speed will be the most important consideration. Would you know if I would have better speeds using a switch or a hub as the device that connects into the cable modem?

Thank you

7. Squashman

Do they even make hubs anymore.

8. erbad

erbad Thread Starter

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A hub broadcasts messages it receives to all connected devices and is half duplex. If two devices try to send at the same time there is a conflict and they each have to wait a random time and try again.

A switch sends messages only to the intended recipient and is full duplex. Multiple devices can send (and receive) at the same time.

10. Squashman

Pretty sure you can buy a switch from Newegg or Frys for cheaper

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice