Adding a second router with WPA security while keeping WEP on my primary router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Billy_Whizz

Hi people.

I would like to know if it is possible to add a second router to my home network.

My son wants to use his Nintendo DS online but the device does not have WEP capability, it can only deal with the less secure WPA option.

I am not willing to drop my preferred WEP just to facilitate one device, but I do have a spare router and I am wondering if it were possible to hook the second router up and allow him to connect using WPA?

Thanks for reading - help would be appreciated.

TerryNet

Terry
Are you trying to be funny? WEP can be cracked in as little as three minutes. WPA with a strong passphrase has not yet been cracked.

Yes, you can daisy-chain routers or add another one as an ethernet switch and wireless access point. To daisy-chain routers all you have to do is be sure that they are using different LAN subnets. If you want everything to be on the same network ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

Billy_Whizz

Woops TerryNet. My bad. I just got my WPA's mixed up with my WEP's!

Thanks for the information and the Netgear link. Hopefully that will get me going.

All the best.

TerryNet

Terry
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who manages to get things backwards sometimes. :D

You're welcome. :)

Billy_Whizz

Hi TerryNet.

I must admit, if I had wanted to look stupid on your forums, mixing my WEP/WPA's was a good way to do it!

I hereby and unconditionally place the blame on my kids and their adorable "Dad can you do this.... Dad, how can I do that.... dad, dad, dad..."

Of course I don't mind, but I do think that's what's happened to my brains in recent years. Ah well, it can only get better from here. They'll soon be teenagers and I'm sure then they'll get some sense and be able to do all that kind of thing for themselves. That's the way it works, isn't it?

Anyway TerryNet, thanks again for your advice - I will be putting it into effect later today. Any probs and I will come back to this thread, but I hope I should be able to take it from here, thanks to you.

Cheers!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online