1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a second sound card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tkeane77, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tkeane77

tkeane77 Thread Starter

I need to add a second sound card to my desktop pc. Do the new usb sound card adapters really work ? I understand the adapter is connected to a usb port and the sound card connects to the adapter - thereby side stepping the issue of going into the pc and adding a sound card internaly. Am I understanding this correctly ? Thanks inadvance !

2. Compiler

Compiler

AFAIK - you can't run two audio cards at the same time.

USB sound cards are really not bests for long term solutions. It'll eat CPU, memory and USB resources. But if someone has a notebook, that would be their only choice.

You go into BIOS and dis-able the onboard audio. Then install a new sound card.

3. tkeane77

tkeane77 Thread Starter

Well,this is a DJ program that has two cd player decks - A & B. It says you can click deck A and hear a song thru your amp speakers and you can preview deck B song if you click the headphone button on the screen and hear B thru your headphones "providing you have a second sound card ". So, now I'm confused.....

4. Compiler

Compiler

Dunno... I'd admit thats a first for me. But if you're playing an audio CD on a PC's CD/DVD drive - you can plug your headphones directly INTO the 2nd drive headphone jack and hear the audio... no sound card required.

5. tkeane77

tkeane77 Thread Starter

The songs are on a 4 GB flash drive, no actual cd's. Well, thanks for the attempt to help - appreciate it !

6. Compiler

Compiler

Hmmm, thinking about it. Windows options do let you select your audio sources so I guess it should be okay to use 2 sound cards. If the manufacture of the DJ program has a message board like here, you should post there and ask those users what results they get with their configurations.

I can see how a program can "talk" to 2 or more audio files and direct ouput throw specific output jacks.

7. tkeane77

tkeane77 Thread Starter

I think I figured it out after 2 hours sleep last night. I install a 2nd sound card to each pc. I go into "sounds" in the control panel and chose the new card as the secondary audio source. I buy two cheap headphones or earplugs and connect to the audio out of new card's on pc's. While playing song on PC #1, I click the headphone icon on PC #2 and preview the song on that pc without it going thru the studio speakers (i.e over the air ). Once I'm happy, I click headphone again and PC #2 goes back to primary audio (the original sound card). When announcing, I put on the better pair of studio headphones, hit the button on the amp which makes audio go thru headphones only, open the mic and talk. Having one earbud on each side of me to cue songs will be akward but should work - I am hoping I can preview a song in deck B while deck A is playing on the same pc - we'll see !! Thanks again !!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/830190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice