1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding a sound card to a mb w/onboard audio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike kolb, Jun 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike kolb

mike kolb Thread Starter

I have window 98se, pen3, 256mem, 12gb hd, intel mb/ model D815EEA that has onboard audio (the sound does not work at this point).

I want to add a sound card in the PCI slot. What would be the best way to do this? Do I need to do anything in the BIOS?

Thanks for any and all help

Mike

2. Confessor

Confessor

Yes, there should be an option in the BIOS to disable the onboard sound. You may need to do this so that there will not be a resourse conflict..ie.. IRQ, I/O...
    Then after you disable it in the BIOS, then reboot, shut down, install card, reboot, go into BIOS, save changes and exit. Then, the PC will reboot. Watch on POST to see if the new sound card is seen... Then if it is, you may only need to install the drivers manually if plug and play doesn't pick it up as seen with the "New hardware found" wizard that should come to life on the initial boot after the new card is installed.

3. zeddy

zeddy

I would add that you should uninstall the onboard sound card drivers first before powering down and disabling it.

4. Confessor

Confessor

ABSOLUTY !!...

my bad... :p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/138309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice