1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a usb to tv

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Mrcobra, Sep 10, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Ok try to stay with me as I attempt to explain this as best I can

So I purchased a set of monster sound light led strips for what I thought I was going to use on the back of my tv. When I unboxed these lights I noticed that they connected by using a usb(male). I thought, no big deal, I'll just plug them into the usb(female) port on the tv. Much to my surprise my TV does not have a usb port.

So here is my question. Do they make an adapter that has a usb(female) to hdmi(to tv)

The light have the usb(male)

And seeing as though I only have two hdmi ports I have already ordered an hdmi switch to give me 3 additional hdmi ports.

Thank you in advance and I hope that I explained this well enough to understand.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, but the easier solution is to use a simple USB charger like those for a cell phone, tablet, etc. You can buy one pretty much anywhere or you may have one already that you are not using from a phone or other device kicking around the house.

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

how would that correct my issue? Or am I missing something here ?(which is possible)

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Are those lights designed to vary with the audio from the TV ?

5. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Yes

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    By providing power to the lights, that's all the USB port on a TV would do.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK, so are these lights for PC then and have an audio chip built in or something? What's the exact model of them?

I don't see how they could vary with the audio through a USB port since no TV sends audio out a USB port. More likely the USB port is just for power and the lights have a microphone or similar audio device that detects the sound and then does it's thing..

Drabdr likes this.
  8. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    This is what I was thinking Rob. Or maybe some Bluetooth signal from something...

9. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

These lights are "technically" for a pc BUT if my tv had a usb port they would work the same way.

There is a built in microphone. I do not need tv audio out to a usb, I just need the power from the tv(I believe)

Attached Files:

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, then if you just need power then a phone charger will give it power.

And a USB port on a TV and a USB port on a computer has different functionality, the PC can use the USB for much greater functionality than a TV which is limited to using it as storage.

Drabdr likes this.
  11. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Now I think I get ya. your saying just use one of these and put(stick) the lights to the back of the tv ?

Attached Files:

12. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Isn't there instructions on the box or a user manual?

Here is a YouTube video:

13. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

There are instructions on how to connect the usb to the strip, nothing more. IF my tv had a usb connection I would not be here in the first place.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the LED strip just uses the USB for a power source then you just need to plug it into any USB charger and it should light up.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice