Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adding a video card

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Blu_86 
#1 ·
MY computer specs are:
perating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150202-1526)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: DX4860
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/31/11 10:13:44 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8096MB RAM
Page File: 4709MB used, 11480MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

I am vondering can i add a video card to my system? I want to play game star citizen with it if its possible. Games requirments are:

Minimum System Requirements
Windows Vista (64 bit), Windows 7 (64 bit) – Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64 bit)
DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM
Quad core CPU
8GB Memory

Any help would be apriciated ty.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well your mobo does have a PCI-X socket for a dedicated video card, The only concern would be your power supply, so when you choose a graphic card make sure your power supply has both the wattage and the connectors to support it, otherwise you may need to also buy a new psu; however my experience with Gateway is that they tend to use proprietary psu's that do not meet the standard dimension of the ATX 2.0 specification, so if it comes down to also changing the psu, make sure that it will fit properly.

#5 ·
OK so it looks like the stock PSU is a tad shorter than the retail boxes so you may have to bend a stop flap in left side of the case to get the retail psu to fit properly; as for the graphic card you will need to get one that is not any longer than 10"

#6 ·
Ah .. there are a few PSU's that are short enough to fit. Think Rosewill do a search. I know Rosewill is not a revered brand around these parts but for something like a GTX 750Ti it will do fine. Not to mention that a GTX 750ti is motherboard powered only and will play your game just fine, but the PSU power to the mobo does help with that regardless. There is also the option of the AMD equivalent R7 260x or R7 265 which do require a power connection to the PSU.

You will want something like a 380-450W decent quality power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.