1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a wifi router to router on static IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stonkin, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stonkin

Stonkin Thread Starter

Hello one and all,
    I am sincerely hoping someone can assist with my little networking problem as i'm tearing my hair out now..

Here at work we have a Vigor Modem/Router hosting our connection to the world. It was originally on DHCP & the 4 computers & 2 printers found their own IP addresses without problem.

We added a Linksys router via ethernet (to a lan port not the wan) in another area of the yard. This was fine also on DHCP and connecting wirelessly from a laptop or mobile phone was a doddle.

Then our oh so wonderful IT geek decided to put the Vigor on a Static IP along with all the computers connected to it. This has some how cut off the wifi capability of the Linksys router now.

It is basically acting as a hub for two laptops and nothing else.

In simplistic terms with some detail what settings need changing on the Linksys if any?

The Vigors internal IP is 192.168.1.1
    Linksys is 192.168.1.4
    both on subnet 255.255.255.0

I have been advised to set the Linksys to a static IP on the Internet Connection option but what set of figures do i need for that??

Fingers crossed...

Stonkin

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so why isnt the IT geek sorting the wireless issue out ?

is the linksys still setup for Dhcp ?
    is this the gateway IP set on the linksys ?

what IP are the PCs and Printers set to ?

3. Stonkin

Stonkin Thread Starter

The IT guy is 50 miles away and cant be bothered to sort it as its for staff use and not official company use.

The Linksys is still on DHCP, its internal IP is 192.168.1.4

Each PC & Printer has an IP of 192.168.1.**

The laptops we have connected to the Linksys via ethernet are also on 192.168.1.**

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand the need for changing the Linksys's IP. Has that address been used for another device?

Have the other computers--the ones connecting through the Linksys--been assigned static IP configurations? I'm assuming that you want to continue having them on the same LAN as the primary router.

5. Stonkin

Stonkin Thread Starter

The Vigor is on 192.168.1.1 so the Linksys has to be on something different i.e. 192.168.1.4

Yes the two laptops connected to the Linksys via ethernet will only access the internet if assigned dedicated IPs & Gateway of 192.168.1.1 & DNS of the same.

Well confusing!!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is confusing?

Do you still have a problem or question (other than the confusion)?

7. Stonkin

Stonkin Thread Starter

Yep the lack of wifi internet from the Linksys is still an issue.

Its the whole IP setup thats confusing me :)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Oh. I got distracted about the Linksys LAN IP address and the Linksys being used as a "hub" (I assumed that meant ethernet switch, although I guess an old router may include a hub instead of a switch).

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following commands:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

ping 192.168.1.1

ping 8.8.4.4

ping yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1080895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice