1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a wireless access point to a wired router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by starwolf39, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

I currently have the Linksys BEFSX41 Broadband router that has 4 ports total and wish to add the Linksys WAP54G Wireless access point to my home network.

I'm a little unclear as to how to go about adding this wireless access point to my existing wired network since ALL 4 ports on my wired router are occupied. I have 1 port for the ethernet connection from my cable modem, and the other 3 ports are connected to 3 computers by a CAT5 cable each.

So, what kind of options do I have if I want to add wireless access so I can use my laptop that already has a wireless internet card? Note: All computers in this situation are running Windows XP Pro if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need a cheap switch or hub to split out one of the ports on the router. A 4 or 5 port switch can be had for less than $20, should solve the problem just fine...

3. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

OK yes, I was just going to mention in an edit that I have an old 4 port switch that would probabaly help in this situation, but you already mentioned that.

So, let me see if I can figure this out now. I drew out the whole setup now and included it as an attachment, so if you could check it out and confirm it all I'd appreciate it greatly.

Also, I have the Netgear Ethernet Hub model EN104TP. I'm not sure if this has "swtich" capablilities, and I'm not sure if I need that for what I want to do. Can you forsee a problem here?

EDIT: Fixed picture.

EDIT: Minor change: my router has 5 ports total, one designated for the connection to the modem.

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

Looks good to me. :)

5. dydx

dydx

Maybe having the AP connected to the router would be better.

6. Rockn

Rockn

It is connected to the router via the switch/hub.

7. JohnWill

It will make absolutely no difference, and it probably better the way it is. The WAP is by far the slowest piece in the puzzle, so having it share the wire with the other computer is hardly a problem...

8. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

Get a wireless router. They do the same thing as the access point and usually have 4 ports as well. Take one cat5 out of the existing router plug the wireless router in than plug the one cat5 cable in the wireless router. Linksys is my preference, try the WRT54G.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/241077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice