1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding a wireless router to an existing wired router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kiester, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kiester

Kiester Thread Starter

Hello:

This is my 1st post (please be gentle!!). I did a some searches but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for, hopefully some of you guys (and gals) can help. The attached diagram pretty much says everything. All static DNS entries are using my ISP's DNS servers.

I cant get the wireless PC to see my network. It is on the same workgroup, whats missing? All PC's can access the internet fine.

Appreciate any help/suggestions. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. pthres

pthres

If your drawing is 100% correct, check your ip address for your wireless set-up, your wired network is 192.168.1.x and your wired is 192.168.0.x

3. Kiester

Kiester Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I changed my wireless router 's LAN IP to 192.168.1.10. When it restarted, I couldn't access it again. It wouldn't let me renew a new IP either so I rebooted. When the PC came back up, it did lease a new IP 192.168.1.100 but it was in conflict with the other DHCP PC in the network. I changed the DHCP range on the wired router to be out of range from the DHCP server in the wireless router. The wired PC got 192.168.1.75, so its fine again. Odd thing is, I still cant access anything on the wireless PC. I can only ping 192.168.1.10 but I cant even pull it its web interface. I changed its static DNS entries to dynamic and still it didn't do anything.

Just rebooted again, wireless PC is getting an IP from the wireless router (so the DHCP server is working) but still the same. I can ping the wireless router's LAN port (192.168.1.10) but nothing else and still cant pull it up with a browser. Did I miss something? :confused:

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

5. Kiester

Kiester Thread Starter

That did it! I didn't think of using the LAN port. All this time I had the WAN port on the wireless router connected to one of the ports in the wired router. I switched ports and presto!

I did leave both DHCP servers running, the IP ranges don't conflict. Everything works now, I can see all shares and printers. One thing that still puzzles me is the fact that I can no longer pull up the wireless router on a browser from either a wired PC or a wireless. Glad I set up the encryption before. Its DHCP server is still working because the wireless PC gets its IP from it (its default gateway is the IP of the LAN port in the wireless router) so it just boggles me why I cant pull it up. I can ping it from any PC tho. It is an older router so maybe its software doesn't like me changing the LAN ports IP.

At this point, everything works! I wanna thank you all for the help. (y)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad it all worked out. :)

If you follow all of the instructions and move the router to an unused address in the same subnet, it will be accessable for setup changes. I've done this at a number of places, including my installation here.

7. Kiester

Kiester Thread Starter

On the subject of the wireless router, you mean change its IP to an IP out of the range of the DHCP scopes? The wired router's DHCP scope is set to 192.168.1.75-80. Before I lost access to it, the wirless should be setup for 192.168.1.100-199. The IP that it uses, 192.168.1.10, is not in use by anything else. The IP of the wired router is 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.120 & .130 statically assigned for 2 other PC's. The 3rd PC is using 192.168.1.75 from the wired DHCP and the wireless PC is using 192.168.1.100 from the wireless DHCP. Is having both DHCP's active causing the problem? What IP should I move the wireless router to?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/246331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice