1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a Yahoo! mail account to Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cbrown6305, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbrown6305

cbrown6305 Thread Starter

Hi, i'm trying to add my yahoo! mail account to thunderbird but not sure if i can... i read somewhere that you can only do it if you pay for the advanced version of yahoo mail, but then i ran across this site... http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html

...only when i try to download the extension it automatically tries to install it into firefox, which of course does not work. Any ideas??

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes, you can only do it if you pay Yahoo! for POP3 access.

3. cbrown6305

Actually i found a way to install from that link... it does work, i'm using it now.

4. Sharker

Sharker

Hiya Cbrown6305,

How did you do it?

I'm having the same problem of WebMail trying to install into Firefox instead of Thunderbird. But I can't see where on the website it gives you the solution.

Would you mind letting me in on the secret? :)

5. cbrown6305

1)go to this link...

2)right click on Web-Mail-1.0.6, right click, save link as..., save to the desktop

*you will know have a .xpi file saved on your desktop. this is an extension file for mozilla programs

3)open thunderfox and go to tools->extensions and click the "install" button, select the .xpi file saved to your desktop

4)repeat steps 2 & 3 for the type of mail you want to use

5)once you restart thunderbird the extensions will be fully installed, to set up accounts click this link: account set-up

That should do it... it works great for me, the only dowside is that now all your mail from your web account will be sent directly to thunderbird, so it will not appear in your online inbox... Good Luck!

6. Sharker

Sharker

Hiya Cbrown6305

Thanks for the information. I've been fiddling away with this Thunderbird extension for a while now and referring to what you said:

> the only dowside is that now all your mail
    > from your web account will be sent directly to
    > thunderbird, so it will not appear in your online inbox

In case you haven't discovered this already, try:

Select your Yahoo account in the folders area> Click View Settings for this Account> Select “Server Settings” under your account name> and then select the check box labelled “Leave messages on server” (Ignore the two boxes below.)

This leaves your messages in your Yahoo account but marks them as read when they have been downloaded. For convenience I have also used the option:

Tools>Extensions>WebMail – Yahoo>Options>Select “Pop” Tab>Select the check box ”Download Unread emails only”

Hope this helps.

Only problem I'm having is sometimes the messages won't download and I get an error message, something strange like: responded negative vibes. But unfortunately I don't know what it means. Hmmm....

7. cbrown6305

Actually sharker i did figure that out, also if you want your messages to be deleted when you delete them from thunderbird just check the "until i delete or moved from Inbox" under server settings...
    now, after you delete messages, the next time thunderbird connects to yahoo! to check for new messages it will remove those ones that you have removed from thunderbird.
    This will keep you from having to enable the "Download Unread emails only" options and it will keep your yahoo virtual inbox from piling up unwanted emails.

As for the negative vibes... yahoo normally does not allow connection to a mail client such as thunderbird unless you pay them for it, therefore the Web-mail extention acts like a hack. The bad vibes are probably a result of yahoo's system automatically blocking the action... if it happens just restart thunderbird and let web-mail try again. Eventually it will get through.

8. Sharker

Sharker

Thanks for the information cbrown6305. Glad you've got it all working smoothly at your end :)

Sharker

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice