1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding an Autoplay handler for an unrecognized (non-media) file type

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boradio, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boradio

boradio Thread Starter

I would like to run a batch file upon insertion of any CD into the CD-ROM drive of my system. I used TweakUI to create a new Autoplay handler that runs the batch file, but the problem is that it seems, by default, Autoplay can only handle inserted devices with Picture, Music, or Video files (or some combination of these). The CDs I am inserting have files of other types on them.

I am wondering if it is possible to associate an Autoplay handler with a specific non-media file type, or to have a handler handle any type that is non-media (not picture, music, or video).

Or, if there is any other, easier way to automatically run a batch file upon insertion of a CD, please let me know. Thanks!

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. boradio

boradio Thread Starter

Hey leroys1000, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this utility only works in conjunction with an autorun.inf which is already on the CD being inserted. I need to execute a batch upon insertion of any CD, whether it contains an autorun.inf file or not.

Is there any way to mount a disk image that contains an autorun.inf file as a way of sort of tricking the operating system into thinking that all discs inserted contain this file?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice