1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding an external dual screen to a vga laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djk001, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djk001

djk001 Thread Starter

I have an old laptop, still in very good condition, and I want to attach an hdmi second dual screen so I can use the laptop screen for gui and the second hdmi screen for code.
    Is there a converter I can plug into my vga external port that will connect into a hdmi port and work as modern dual screen technology does?

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Yes. There's many different kinds. Just did a search on Amazon.com for "VGA to HDMI" and the following came up. Click HERE

3. djk001

djk001 Thread Starter

Thank you Fireflycph. I too have found the Amazon VGA to HDMI converter, unfortunately this does not provide for actual dual screen where a single signal can be converted into a second signal and provide Screen 1 and Screen 2 with separate images - in my case, Screen 1 with gui and Screen 2 with code. Unfortunately I'm probably hoping for miracles with this post as I have been informed that it cannot be done, but I live in hope.
    djk

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    No. You can't have one signal split /converted into a second signal.
    Sorry. I misunderstood what you were trying to achieve..

5. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    While you were right if OP's machine was a desktop with a single video output, but in this case it's a laptop.

Dual screen setup is easily achievable with a laptop. Simply plug in the video cable and change the display setting, it should have an "independent dual screen mode" sort of thing.

6. djk001

djk001 Thread Starter

Hi Over Tallman, what video cable would you suggest I purchase in order to split the single signal into two different signals in order to be able to get two different images on each Monitor?

7. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    This can't be done unfortunately, as you said, there's only a single signal available... unless your computer has DMS-59, dual-link DVI or DisplayPort.

If you wanna drive two EXTERNAL monitors from your laptop, unless it has two video output ports and the GPU supports driving two screens simutanously, you're pretty much SOL.

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

The laptop only has a VGA connector, is that correct? Mine has VGA and HDMI. What model is it?
    May be able to use a powered VGA splitter box like here https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-2-Way-Splitter-Amplifier-Multiplier/dp/B001UW7YDS

Hmm, I think it just duplicates the screens
    I think if you want different screens the video card has to support "extended desktop"
    I have a Dell laptop at work in a docking station and two monitors hooked to the docking station, one display-port the other HDMI on "extended desktop" Saw one guy had three monitors,an old 18" square in the middle and 24" on each side.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  9. lynx1021

lynx1021

10. tgbritto

tgbritto

"Daisy chain" can help connect to several monitors by connecting to a single Displayport socket.

But since your laptop has only one VGA socket, it is no possible to have two different external displays.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice