1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding attached external network hard drive to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ianaman, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ianaman

Ianaman Thread Starter

I have an Actiontec GT701-wg DSL modem running a wireless network. I currently have two laptops with XP sharing the Internet connection. Since the modem has an open Ethernet port in the back, I was wondering if it might be possible to plug in a networkable external hard drive and have it available to both of the laptops wirelessly.

If it is possible, what setting would be required on the laptops to enable them to see the external drive?

Thanks!

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Yep, its certainly possible, called network attached storage. You can find online at places like newegg.com or tigerdirect.com or brick and mortar stores.

3. Ianaman

Ianaman Thread Starter

I thought so. So if I plug the storage drive into the router, what will I need to do to allow the laptops to see it?

Thanks!

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

It depends on the product you buy usually it has a web interface GUI in order for you to setup permissions and whatnot. Then on the individual lPC's you just map a drive to the unit. Any product you buy should have documentation on setup processes.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd do your selection somewhat carefully. Many of the inexpensive NAS units require you to install a driver on each machine that will attach to the NAS. FWIW, I'm using the Hawking NAS1, and it does not require a driver of any kind.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Wow really JohnWill? Goes to show you I never have worked with cheap NAS units :) All I have ever used are fully 100% network compatible without extra "fluff".

I'll assume those ones the require drivers are like low end Linksys/D-Link/Netgear units or is it just some brands require that vrs others?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I forget which brands needed them, but if you do a scan for NAS on Google, there are some reviews in one of the PC rags. They had a listing of about six or seven of the brands and the pros and cons.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/438571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice