1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding case fan query

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by treads, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. treads

treads Thread Starter

I feel kinda stupid asking this question but better safe than sorry! I want to add a case fan (one that plugs into a spare connector from power supply) but which way round does go? Is it meant to blow air around the case or take hot air away. I have a feeling it matters!
    Cheers

2. mtbird

mtbird

treads....
    Welcome to TSG !

Ideally, you should have a case fan in the front that is pulling air into the case and a fan in back that is blowing air out.

Debe

3. n2gun

n2gun

Welcome to TSG!

This is one of the questions where everyone has an opinion. The main idea behind the fans is to get the heat out of the case. My case has ventilation slots all around and by placing a fan blowing out I woul;d be able to draw air into all areas. A fan pushing in would create something like a wind tunnel and in some cases cause problems.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I split the difference in these opinions. :) I have three case fans, in addition to the P/S fan. There's one on top and in the rear exhausting air, and one in the front pushing it in.

FWIW, I'm not sure why "creating a wind tunnel effect" would cause a problem, maybe I'm missing something.:confused:

5. n2gun

n2gun

John
    It could start moving wires around and possibly cause some of the smaller ones to come unplugged. It could also cause wires to hit fans and possibly damage them.

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

I suggest at the least one input fan in front to go with the Power Supply output fan. Any other's should be based on need. I have a side mounted exhaust fan as well which draws air directly across the AGP slot vid card.

For me, Athlon processor and 64 MB gforce vid card, 2 hard drives and 2 CD's, the extra exhaust fan reduced my board and overall temps noticeably using a variety of temp indicators.

You don't say what you're machine is running so I'll assume you have a heat problem. If so then you should have that 3rd fan as exhaust. The idea is to remove the heat. One intake, 2 exhaust. By the way, many people have heat problems because the exhaust fan is complete clogged with dust buildup. I always check and clean mine about 4 times a year.

As far as wires getting in the way that's not a concern because you should always bundle case flat cables and wires to remove them from blocking air flow anyway. It also makes working on a PC (adding / removing RAM, etc.) a whole lot easier.

The one thing to take into account is the power supply wattage. Everything you add draws power so if you're running an older PC with a low watage power supply, then adding fans for the sake of adding fans may be self defeating.

As always with questions like this; just my opinion. ;)

By the way, it's not a stupid question. In fact it's a very good question. I've seen some really screwy case setups you'd never think someone would do.

7. treads

treads Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies - I can now add the extra fan with a degree of confidence.
    cheers
    Steve

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Say WHAT??? What kind of fans are you buying??? We're talking about 12V DC fans of the 3-5 watt power, they hardly move enough air to unplug anything! :) This is a non problem IMO, I can't imagine getting enough airflow to do anything like this. I build commercial PC systems for factory automation, and we have four AC fans pushing air through the enclosures, and they're not powerful enough to pull any plugs, and they move a whole lot more air than the DC fans the typical PC uses.

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

Now listen johnwill.... When I put my machine in the wind tunnel....:D

10. 0tbyn8r

0tbyn8r

"This is one of the questions where everyone has an opinion"

Wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I think all of these things work for the individual's setup. I had an ASUS mb and Athlon Thunderbird. Ran both hot and noisy. I ended up having seven fans. To cut a long story I removed most after reading articles galore and left two 80mm fans in the rear (no front case fan). It was a couple of degrees cooler after that according the ASUS Probe utility I had installed.
    I think you really need to assess your own requirements. The issues n2gun states about the windtunnel effect has some validity. I'm no expert but some of what i'd read indicated the turbulence that can be caused with the airflow through the case. This was attributed to the location of the fans, the direction they were directing the air and obstacles in the air's path. The tests conducted showed that rather than cooling the case the temps remained the same if not increased. But other tests have also indicated otherwise. I think even the experts disagree.
    I guess you need to look at how your PC is configured internally and determine from there what your requirements will be.I hope some of the following helps you along the way when making your final decision -

80mm fans or larger moves more air and are generally quieter.
    The more fans connected the more power exerted on your power supply (and maybe more heat generated?)
    Consider other options for cooling such as rounded cables to increase the smooth passage of air (especially if you have a front case fan).
    Remove other internal obstacles where possible, again to allow for better air flow. This includes ensuring cables are tied and out of the way.
    Look around on the net, there are so many sites dedicated to case cooling; particularly tweak and overclocker sites (but be mindful of the information or els you could be up for a lot of money).

11. 0tbyn8r

0tbyn8r

12. slipe

slipe

If you are going to add a fan to the back of the computer have it blow the same way as the power supply fan – most blow out but I had one that blew in. Of course it was on a Compaq so you wouldn’t expect anything to be normal.

I have come generally to the same conclusion as 0tbyn8r (I think). I’m not so concerned with a wind tunnel effect since I’m conservative with fans. But it has always seemed to me that a couple of nice fans on the rear with various slots to let air in is the best approach.

An intake fan in the front provides the air for the exhaust fans and prevents air from being drawn in elsewhere. You get excellent airflow in some parts of the computer but others can stagnate.

Most builders seem to prefer to have an intake fan in the front and they must have good reasons. I’m planning a new build and just want a couple of nice exhaust fans in the rear.

13. griffinspc

griffinspc

I love it, it actually was designed to suck air in to the power supply???? Maybe they thought it would run better with more dust buildup. :D

And slipe old friend, you naver got back to my thread on the CD-R, I did answer your questions.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice