Adding Domain Users As A Group

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brooke

I have an application that requires my users to add a registry entry each time they enter the program. The easiest way I figured to do that was to give all my users administrative privileges on each Win2000 machine. The problem is they log on to a domain, and I'm having to enter like 50 user IDs individually on each Win2000 machine. I have us in a group in the WinNT domain, but I can't find anywhere on the Win2000 PC to add a group from the domain. It's just time consuming and thought I'd see if anyone knew of an easier way.
This was hard to explain...hope it's half-way clear.

I am assuming that they only need local aadmin rights in order to add the registry entry when the application starts. Is this a homegrown app or does the vendor supply support. I am sure they are more familiar with configuring the application and it's parameters.

brooke

Well, that's an interesting question...hard to answer...
It's a homegrown app by a vendor...meaning it was written especially for us back in 1996...and they never marketed it to anyone else. This vendor SUCKS, and they are clueless since not one programmer that developed the program is still working there and noone documented ANYTHING along the way. Don't get me started...
And, yes...I've assigned them as users that log on to a domain, but have local admin rights to the PC. No admin rights to the domain...if that's what you mean.

I am assuming then that this application was designed to run on Win95/98 and not on NT or Win2K. If you are on the user manager logged in as admin for the local account try creating a local group and under the members type in the name of the domain in where it shows the local computer name. I remember having done this before, but unless I have a Win2K box in front of me it's kind of hard to explain. Here's a little item I found that might help>>>>

http://doaisd01003.state.mt.us/userDomainAccount.htm

Brooks

On the domain, I assume that the users are part of the Domain Users Group.

You can on the local machine, add a domain group into the local administrators group.

Right click on My Computer and go to Manage.

Go into the Local Users and Groups and go into groups. Now open up the administrators group and you can place a domain group into it. The Domain Admins groups is placed there atuomatically, but you can place any domain group there.

You can if you want create a group on the DC and add those individuals to the domain group and then add that group to the local administrators group.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online