1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding external hard drive to old laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitelov, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nitelov

nitelov Thread Starter

When I try to add my external hard drive to my old laptop - Win98 - it asks me to reformat it. What can I do about this? Of course - I don't want to reformat it - I'll lose everything!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, is this W98 or W98SE? You need drivers for W98SE, and many USB devices won't work properly on W98 (not SE).

Another issue is many external drives are formatted NTFS, which W98 can't read. Does the disk work on an XP or 2K system?

3. nitelov

nitelov Thread Starter

It is NTFS and W98SE. I have all drivers installed. The hard drive did work on XP and 2K.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, since the hard disk is NTFS, W98 can't read it, that's your basic issue.

You'll need to have a FAT32 formatted hard disk if you want to use it on W98 as well as XP and 2K. You can format this one as FAT32 if that does the trick for you.

5. nitelov

nitelov Thread Starter

This is my external hard drive:
    formatted in NTFS this is the laptop I am trying to connect it to: HD is formatted in FAT 32 -
    has Windows 98SE OS

I am sorry I may have been confusing.....I've been very ill but I need to get this fixed!!.....

I can use my external hard drive with any other computer (incl XP and 2K) that I've tried ......except this laptop.

Q: this laptop is Old.....appx 2G with about 400mb of space left. I can't save anything to it - I've had to use flash drives for everything....also there's only 64mb RAM. My external hard drive has 160gb - is that possibly the problem - the laptop doesn't have enough memory to read it? I know how to do the registry and most everything else, if there are any tweaks that I can do that would help, let me know......or any suggestions at all. I'll try anything at this point.

6. kenleekenlee

kenleekenlee

So the laptop is using Win98 SE (FAT32), and the external drive is NTFS?

If this is the case, your laptop can not read the data on the external hard drive. There are a few programs floating around the internet that allow you to read (and sometimes write) to NTFS partitions. This is a difficult situation, and you might be better off getting an external case for your laptop drive (2.5"), removing the laptop drive, and connecting it to your other computer to transfer your files.

Good luck.

7. nitelov

nitelov Thread Starter

I don't have another computer - I have to use this laptop......about the programs - do you know what programs or where I could find one to do what you suggest?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice