1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding extra hard drive with different OS on it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rocken_heimer, Apr 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rocken_heimer

Rocken_heimer Thread Starter

Hi
    Can't get new pc (Win2000 Pro) onto network (WinNT 4). User created in server, but at the machine name level I can't be authenticated on the network. What's with that?

Secondly, I had to add a new hard drive that has Win2000 Pro on it into a pc that already had one with Win98 on it. I put the old hard drive (Win98) as a slave, the new one as Master (did the jumpers thing on both - Master to slave for the "old one" and the new one as master) Upon booting, it does its POST test, but when it starts loading Win2000, it just stops itself dead in its tracks and reboots again, ad infinity. What am I forgetting?
    A two-in-one folks!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you go into the bios and have both hard drives re-recognized?

3. Rocken_heimer

yep, did the BIOS thing. Everything's at AUTO. And then some. It's still doing it; when Win2000 prepares to boot, it's the whole pc that boots up instead. A short loop that repeats itself forever. Now what? Thanx Can. It's nice to see your name here all the time.

4. ~Candy~

Thanks, and you're welcome...

What happens if you try to boot with just the master?

5. Rocken_heimer

Now I get DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. Yet I know what's on that hard drive: Win2000. I know - I put it there yesterday. It STARTS booting when the original hard drive shares the cable with it. If I put the original hard drive back into place (The Win98 one) everything should be ok. If both drives are on, it locks itself into a loop of rebooting. If only the Win2000 one is on there - I get this Disk Boot Failure thing (despite my having been in the BIOS to activate this, ignore that and auto this and that). If only the old hard drive is on, everything's great. I'm starting to figure it's my BIOS incursions that don't yield the fruit they ought to. If you think that's it, you'd have to narrow it down for me Can, i.e. tell me under which header I'd find whatever item I'm looking to reconfigure. I know not all BIOS's have the same interface, but at least it'll give me something to work with as opposed to going in there blindly doing what "sounds logical"... Thanx

6. ~Candy~

Well, what I would do, is to disconnect the old drive and reload win2000 on the new one....that should fix it....

and just to double check, try booting just to the old one, by disconnecting the new one.....

[Edited by AcaCandy on 04-20-2001 at 01:11 PM]

7. Rocken_heimer

Same ol' same ol'. Put the old one back in - no problem. Put them together, 2K starts booting, stops and puter reboots. All by itself, the new one gets me DISK BOOT FAILURE. I haven't tried re-installing Win2K yet cuz the hard drive gets detected; it's just that weird rebooting bug. When the new hard drive is on that cable all by itself, it doesn't even get recognized. Think maybe the BIOS doesn't support his hard drive? The puter I'm trying it on is a Pent MMX 300 Mhz and his hard drive has 30 Gb on it, in FAT32. You think? I'm out of ideas, except going on MSN.com and trying to surf through it to find answers but I don't have THAT much time to waste. Ever tried surfing that site??? Holy **** Batman! What a runaround!

8. ~Candy~

The only other thing I can think of is the jumpers on the back of the drive. Take them/it off, recheck to make sure (and if it is a Western Digital drive, there's a different setting for a drive on the same system with another drive).

Oh oh, I just thought of another thing.....is one drive being controlled by a software overlay, EZ-Bios, etc.?????

If one is, both have to be......

[Edited by AcaCandy on 04-20-2001 at 02:23 PM]

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/42321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice