1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding extra memory problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kazuya, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazuya

kazuya Thread Starter

i have had my current system for about a year very stable, rarely crashes
    chaintech CT-7NJL1 mobo
    512Mb pc3200 memory
    xp 2800 cpu
    geforce 4600ti gfx
    60Gb maxtor hard drive
    win xp pro service pack 1

recently i bought 2 more sticks of 512Mb pc3200 memory and added them to my system, this resulted in random blue screens and lock ups.

i took out my old stick and left the 2 new ones in, this was better but still caused problems, like norton wouldnt scan and pc refuses to defrag and the odd crash.

ive tried every combination you can think of,
    1 old stick, 1 new stick
    2 new sticks
    different slots etc

the only way i get a stable system is to run with just 1 stick of memory, either of the 3 sticks runs fine on its own
    so i dont think its a memory issue, or is it?

so basicly adding more memory makes the machine unstable, any suggestions anyone :)

tia

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/305013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice