1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding icons to individual desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hildacam, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hildacam

hildacam Thread Starter

All my husband's game shortcut icons appear on my screen as well. How does he post them only to his desktop and not to all? Not a serious problem, just a very irritating one.
    Thanks

2. Dantesgirl

Dantesgirl

Unfortunately, I've only seen the option to save on one user's desktop on my Vista laptop, not on my XP computer.

To get rid of them, you can right-click the icon and click 'Delete'. This won't affect your husband's desktop, nor will it uninstall the game.

Hope that eases your frustration. ;)

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

If the icons appear in all user profiles, then the program is creating them in the All Users Start Menu. If you delete them from your (or any profile), they will disappear from all; you should get a warning that deleting the shortcut will affect all users, but you might not get that warning.

You need to have your husband do the following from his profile:
    Start Windows Explorer (Right click My Computer, click Explore)
    In the left pane, click the plus sign (if needed) to expand the following folders:
    C:
    • Documents and Settings
    • All Users​
    • Username where Username is your husband's user name​
      It's possible that there will be no folder with his user name, he may be using a folder named Owner or something similar.
      Just check the Desktop folder under each user name folder to find the one that has a file that only appears on his desktop
    Click on Desktop under All Users
    Find the game icons on the right, then drag and drop them onto the Desktop folder under his username.

There may be an option when he installs a game to install for All Users, or just the current user. He needs to pick just the current user. Some games just automatically install for all users though, so he would have to repeat the above to remove the icons from your desktop after he installs a game.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice