1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding memory to laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danskibee, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danskibee

danskibee Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Samsung V20 laptop with 248MB Ram at the moment, 2ghz processor Pentium 4 and 64MB Intel Extreme Graphics - and it doesn't play the Sims 2 well at all. I was thinking it's probably my memory, it isn't very high.

I have seen some additional memory for sale on the internet for laptops and was wondering whether it was easy to add more memory to the laptop and whether it was worth it...adding another 256MB - would it improve XP at all and possibly playing games? Apparently my laptop has 2 slots for memory, one of which at the moment is in use - but how to put new memory in is beyond me. Could someone give me any further information and whether its worth paying £50 to get double the memory?

Thanks,
    Danny.

2. Yorien

Yorien

Yorien says:

Duh, let's see...

Depending on the laptop model , you may have the memory slots somewhere the base of the laptop (may need to take out one or two screws first - don't have to unmount the full laptop base, you'll find that some screws unmount just some part of it, teh memory slots usually are in one of these parts). More commonly, you'll find the memory slots right BEHIND the keyboard. Same as with the base, in some models you have to take out some screws, and in other cases (commonly new HP's) just have to manually press and take out some parts in the upper zone of the keyboard.

As for the SIMS 2... I think the main problem you have is not the Ram (still, you're a little low on it), but the VideoCard. The intels are not great 3D-intensive cards.

As for upgrading memory... well, your choice, not mine... ;)

Yorien Dragonard

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Yes it will be worth it, but check with Crucial Memory to make sure you get the correct memory.

4. danskibee

danskibee Thread Starter

I know this may be thick, but what's the 'crucial memory'?

5. SweetChick

SweetChick

6. danskibee

danskibee Thread Starter

I've seen some from offtek (or whatever it's called) but I didn't know whether it would be easy to put into the laptop or not...that's all I'd like to know - and whether it would be worth the £50 buying it to see an improvement in running XP and games

Thanks for your replies.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You will see a small improvement, but your problem will mainly be from the video capabilities of the laptop. They are not a gaming PC.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice