1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by understood, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. understood

understood Thread Starter

well i managed to come across my moms old computer in our storage room. I wanted to know if i can remove the 64mb memory from my moms compaq and put it on my dell. i think she had the geeksquad install the memory a while back so yea if more info is neccessery just tell me what and ill look into it.

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

You would need to know if it is a compatible type, and that you had a slot for it on your own computer. For more finite help, you would need to give the motherboard model, current ram configuration, and the model of the ram to be added.

3. understood

4. seekermeister

seekermeister

I wouldn't know positively without Googling the old RAM's specs, but since your motherboard is set for using DDR2 ram, I seriously doubt that the old RAM is compatible.

5. understood

:(
    Any suggestions were i can buy a compatible memory card for my desktop? my birthdays in 3 days :D and I wanna add 512mb so then my computers ram will be 1gb.
    and what would happen if i put this old compaq memory card in one of the slots and started up my computer? would it just ignore it or what?

6. seekermeister

seekermeister

The cheapest place would be online, at some website like Newegg, etc. But, if you want it fast, then buy it at a local computer store, like CompUSA, BestBuy, etc.

7. understood

and do i gotta get a specific memory card? all i know is i want 512mb lol

8. seekermeister

seekermeister

There will be a choice of RAM sticks, but a salesman should be able to help with the choice. If you are going to buy online, check the manufacturer's website, they generally have information and possibly a wizard to help you choose a compatible stick. I would suggest to buy a quality brand, otherwise it could adversely effect the performance of your computer.

9. understood

perhaps a small list of decent/good manufacturer's ? last thing i need help with ;) :p

10. seekermeister

seekermeister

As I have said, you will have a choice of brands and models. You need 512MB, DDR2 RAM. I really recommend going to the Dell website for any other information that they may have regarding this.

11. seekermeister

seekermeister

Most people would say that the best brand is Corsair, but there are other good ones.

12. understood

ok tyvm for your help

13. understood

14. pugmug

pugmug Banned

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah you need to go to a site with a configurator and match the ram in your Dell or it won't run right at all. Seekermeister is giving you "shipwreck advice" as I have never seen a clerk in a store ever give the right memory advice, and how could they without your pc there anyway.
    Your 64 meg stick of course will not work, and it would not give you much of anything in speed even if it did.
    Check www.corsair.com or www.kingston.com or www.crucial.com and put in your Dell model to see the correct models to buy...you can go elsewhere once you have the model numbers, but anything else will most likely not work...this forum probably has more mismatched ram nightmares than any other single issue.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice