1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding more hard-drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deadm4n, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadm4n

deadm4n Thread Starter

I am currently using 2 IDE hard-drives, but eventually used up almost all of the space on them. I found an old server computer that wasn't being used at work, so I took the two SCSI hard-drives and the card they were connected to, which I guess is a SCSI controller card. I screwed in the controller card and hard-drives to my PC, hooked everything up, and tried to boot. During POST, the SCSI card reads both of the drives, and then my PC begins to emit a long (and extremely loud) beep sound. The only way to stop the sound is to enter the controller card setup utility.

Is it even possible to do what I'm trying to do? I have no experience with drives other than IDE :(

Update 9/19/40 11:01PM CST:
    After fiddling around, I found out that one of the SCSI drives was not connected well. Is there some reason as to why both SCSI drives need to be connected in order for it to work? After fixing the connection, my PC would reboot itself after POST. After more filddling, I found that disconnecting my slave IDE drive solved this. After booting into Windows, it was only detecting one drive, when I had connected both. Can someone tell me why?

2. Foamer

Foamer Guest

SCSI devises are tricky. At the end of a SCSI string the end has to be terminated unless the controller is self terminating (Looped back and the end plugged back into the controller.) Also... the number of drives you plan on using has to be set either by jumpers or switches on the controller.

And using SCSI and IDE at the same time can be tricky.
    Many systems simply wouldn't allow it at all.
    If you can... let us know what kind of controller your using and from that thingsmay be able to be straitened out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice