1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding more ports to router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hannaframmis, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hannaframmis

hannaframmis Thread Starter

hey all - i have just built an addition to my home and need to connect three more network drops (so the new rooms will have Internet/home network access)to my 4 port Linksys WRT54G router. i have purchased this 8 Port switch to install in the new addition that i'm going to connect to one of the ports on the Linksys router in my living room...but i have 2 questions for all you terrific helpful smart folks:

1)i understand that since there is no uplink port on the switch, i need to use a crossover cable to connect switch to router to enable full connectivity, correct?

2)and if so, i'm unclear if it needs to be crossover cable all the way from switch port to router port? or can it just be crossover from router port to wall jack, which is wired to new part of the house via cat5, with the switch plugged into a jack in the new part of the house?

thanks for any who take the time to read this and answer!:)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No crossover cable required, this switch has auto-MDX for all the ports. Just use standard patch cables for all the connections.

3. hannaframmis

thanks for the reply....

so, just to be clear, by running a patch from any of the 4 linksys ports to any one of the eight switch ports will give me full connectivity (internet/home network) on a total of 11 ports (3 on the linksys plus 7 on the switch)?

thanks again!

btw, i don't get over very often but it's really nice to know you guys are here(y)

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yes. Just plug a cable into an available router LAN port to any of the switchports on the new switch. That's it.

Just as an aside. Be aware that if you have resources spread apart on your LAN where some reside on the new switch and some on the router and you do a lot of heavy network traffic between the two (like file copying/sharing), you can possibly over saturate the link going between the switch and the router causing slow network performance. In I would say 99% of home installations, this concern I brought up wouldn't even be an issue. But just in case you're in that 1%......

5. hannaframmis

thanks for the info, and yes, i could be occasionally be in that 1% (e.g.streaming a movie from a pc connected to the switch side and watching it on a pc connected to the router side). could you recommend a configuration to minimize that, should the problem arise?

thanks again!

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Well, first I would run the configuration as is. Many people think they're going to tap out their current LAN infrastructure but really aren't even coming close to making their network break a sweat.

If you do find yourself in the 1% category, there's no easy answer to fixing this without changing out the hardware you have currently. You're going to need to get two managed switches. To way to help prevent issues with link bandwidth contention is to either invoke QoS (quality of service) and/or to use link aggregation (Etherchannel/LACP.) Both features are purely in the domain of managed switches. Managed switches do cost a bit more than their unmanaged counterparts and do require a higher level of network expertise to configure properly. One of the cheapest managed switches I've seen out there with GigE is the Dell PowerConnect 2708. The only issue with this switch is the funky support of LACP. I have yet to get this switch to work properly with a link aggregated group configured. While I've had no problems getting my Netgear GS748TP to establish a 2 Gig Etherchannel connection to my Cisco 2960G switch.

7. hannaframmis

well, thanks for your good advice, and hopefully, i won't need to get that deep into it:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/733695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice