1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding more ram

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dplatt, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dplatt

dplatt Thread Starter

installed 128mgs ram up from my original 64mgs why dosen't windows show my new 128mgs it still shows I have 64? does this mean windows has not recognized my new chip and how do I get it to?

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Open the case and make sure it's seated tightly in the slot. Remove it and insert it again. It should snap into place.

3. dplatt

dplatt Thread Starter

I have had two computor techs try and install more ram, no. 1 put in 256mgs chip said windows does not recognize anything above 64mgs so removed and replaced my old chip back, said it was not worth leaving as I would not get any use of the extra. The second installed 128mgs chip and claims the I am getting use of it and that the message from windows that I still had 64mgs was just a glitch in the display. Who is right? How can I tell if what the second tech said is real or did it just boil down to a sale to him?

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

The second tech lied to you. If Windows isn't recognizing it, it's not using it. Take it back and get a refund. Post your computer or motherboard model, and we can help you figure out how much memory and what kind your computer will support.

5. slipe

slipe

Right click My Computer and select “Properties”. The opening “General” page will report the amount of RAM Windows can use. It should be the same as any other report from Windows, so if it says 64 Mb you are being lied to as Max19 says.

You should go to Start>Run, type msconfig and enter. On the opening “General” page select “Advanced”. Make sure the RAM your computer can use is not limited to 64Mb. You can change it easily if it is. Can’t imagine two techs would overlook something that simple but it wouldn’t hurt to check.

6. dplatt

dplatt Thread Starter

It must have been too easy as I just found out. Windows now says I have 184 mgs after I followed the suggestion posted to me. Jesus I might phone them both and tell them what the problem really was. Thanks to you slipe.
    :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice