1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding Network Card to Desktop?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LauraMJ, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

I've now got a Verizon MiFi unit and I would like to have my desktop be able to connect wirelessly to it. Currently, I have to plug it into the desktop via USB, but when doing that, it no longer will broadcast a wireless signal (since using it with a USB is for greater security) and therefore my daughter and son can't use the laptop and iPod.

Now, I'm guessing that I'll need a particular network card that would be compatible with my computer. My computer is a custom built one, not a brand name. Below are the computer specs from the TSG system info utility:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152625 MB, Free - 82383 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, MS-7369, 1.0, To be filled by O.E.M.
    Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Any suggestions? Need any other info? I have SIW, so I can get pretty much any info on the system that anyone needs. :)

2. LauraMJ

Bump!

3. galoryber

galoryber

i bought the cheapest refurbished wireless card I found on tigerdirect and figured if it didn't work, oh well, i lost 9 bucks, ha.

all i had to do is manually install the driver, because the driver was not signed, but it worked fine.

I would start by finding a card :)

4. LauraMJ

Yep.........that is what I am trying to do. Now as soon as someone can give me some advice on WHAT card will work with my computer, I'll be getting one. :)

5. dant22185

dant22185

I would chose the card mainly based off the OS you are running. In most modern PC hardware it is all generally the same.

6. galoryber

galoryber

7. LauraMJ

Ah, I see! Thanks so much! :)

8. ken1987

ken1987

i think all specs are compatible to your hardware and memory..

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice