1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding New Graphics Card Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by McCurry12, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. McCurry12

McCurry12 Thread Starter

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this problem or not, but I need help! So I ordered all of these parts for a computer I finally decided to build. I bought everything except for a graphics card. I put everything together and everything worked fine. I installed windows 8.1 pro knowing I could upgrade to windows 10 later and then just turned off my computer and left it alone until I got the graphics card. The card came in today and I was super excited so I plugged it up and started up my computer. But nothing showed up on the screen, at first I was confused... But then I thought "well maybe I need to plug the connectors to the graphics card?" So I went ahead and did that and still.... nothing. So I started searching for answers and I've been looking up several videos but they all seem to only have a problem when it is connected to the gpu itself and not the motherboard. So to be sure it wasn't a connection problem I turned everything off disconnected the gpu and plugged back up to the mother board and it worked again. Then I turned it back off and left everything connected but now I reinstalled the gpu. When I turned everything back on my monitor said no signal, so I tried plugging back into the gpu and no luck.

So to sum everything up... I have video when my graphics card isn't installed, but when it is installed I lose signal from both the graphics card and the motherboard. Please help

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You didn't tell us what hardware you actually have, please post the exact part numbers of everything including the power supply and graphics card.

You absolutely must plug in the monitor into the video card before turning on the computer.

Depending on what video card you bought you may also need to plug in one or two power cables into the video card, did you do that?

McCurry12 likes this.
  3. McCurry12

McCurry12 Thread Starter

First thankyou for replying so quickly! 2nd I didn't know it had to be plugged into the video card before turning on the computer! Thank you so much! It fixed the problem I was having!

-Sincerely, First time PC builder!

4. McCurry12

McCurry12 Thread Starter

This site just went into my bookmarks! Thank you so much!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad to hear (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice