1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding new hard drive but boot disk damaged.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tran1, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tran1

tran1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been having mechanical problems with my harddrive. Its so noisy and staggering that I want to replace it. The main problem is that my computer (Packard Bell) came with 2 recovery disks on two different disks. A CD-ROM (master) and a Boot diskette. Recently I discovered that the boot diskette has become currupted and will no longer work. My warranty has run out years ago i've tried packard bell but to no reply.

So i'm here asking you guys wether there is another way round my problem. I want to install a new hard drive but have got only the CD-ROM part of the recovery disks.

Help!!!!

Thanks for your time!
    TRan1

2. monted

monted

3. lightnb

lightnb

there is a good boot utility here:
    http://www.startdisk.com/

its not an HP recoverydisk, but it has lots of utilites and features

hope it helps:)
    Nick

4. tran1

tran1 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your replys! i'll be trying them out.

I heard that you can create a startup disk with a floppy from my own computer. would this startup disk be the same as the boot diskette that came with my systems recovery pack?

thanks!
    TRan1

5. lightnb

lightnb

im not sure, but i dont think so. the recovery disk most likly had files specific to your brand of computer, and a program that restores them. making a windows boot disk from control panel just copies system files, and would allow you to boot from floppy, and use basic DOS comands. once again im not sure.
    Nick

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/88943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice