adding new OS ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

neofan3

I currently has a dual boot win XP pro 32 and win 7 home premium 64 bit. Since I already have a copy of win XP pro 64 bit, I am thinking to add another hard disk and make it a triple booted. The problem is I can make a triple boot from crash but don't know how to add another OS. I read about Paragon Hark Disk Manager it has a feature to add another OS to the mix.

Does anybody have experience with it? Some people said that win XP 32 can't read the GPT loader?

NOTE: my computer is used for games only.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Even though you use your computer for games, this is not a Gaming question. I've asked the thread to be moved.

Have you verified that Windows XP 64-bit drivers are available for all your hardware? Including your video card?

neofan3

Even though you use your computer for games, this is not a Gaming question. I've asked the thread to be moved.

Have you verified that Windows XP 64-bit drivers are available for all your hardware? Including your video card?
I think so. Win XP pro 64 bit was my previous windows. And let me know where you will move my post.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Very few computers shipped with Windows XP 64-bit edition. If drivers are available, they'll be on the manufacturer's website. Have you checked?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I just install an OS with only the Drive connected .. (keeping it independent of the others) ..
Then later, I can choose which drive to Boot from .. Nothing special to install or worry about.

neofan3

Very few computers shipped with Windows XP 64-bit edition. If drivers are available, they'll be on the manufacturer's website. Have you checked?
As I said, win XP pro 64 bit was my previous windows. I have all the drivers discs. And it is not long ago . And although win XP pro 64 is no longer supported by MS, up to 2 months ago I had no problem running any games with dx9c and it has the advantage it can use my 8gig of RAM and runs more games than win 7 home premium 64 bit.

I just install an OS with only the Drive connected .. (keeping it independent of the others) ..
Then later, I can choose which drive to Boot from .. Nothing special to install or worry about.
How so ? You mean an outside hard disk ?

neofan3

With my dual booted system ( win xp 32 bit and win 7 home premium 64 bit ), I almost cover all the game I want to play. Yet if I can add win xp pro 64 bit into the mix, it will be even better. Win xp pro 64 bit will not cover as many games as its 32 bit counter part, it has the advantage of using all 8 GB of RAM I have, and it can run some games much better than win 7 64 bit.

However, unless I can be sure how to add it into the mix, I will be very reluctant to take that step.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The easiest way is to disconnect all HDDs but note which drive uses which mobo connector.

Then connect the XP64 drive to a previously unused connector, do the XP64 install then reconnect the other drives to the connectors they used before.
It should boot into the previous dual-boot menu if 7 and XP are on the same HDD.
If not go into the Bios and set the 7 & XP drive to boot first.
If 7 and XP are on separate HDDs try each one until the dual-boot menu shows up.

Once this is working as before boot into 7, download and install EasyBCD , run it and add XP64 to the menu.
Use Disk Management to find out what drive letter the XP64 drive is given.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online