1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding old harddrive to another computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gmuns65, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmuns65

gmuns65 Thread Starter

I am trying to add my old 10 gig hd to my new used computer. The new comp has a 15 gig hd. I would ultimately like to have both but for now need some programs from old hd and data. I have no instructions or disks for either hd. The comp is a compaq deskpro en p866 pent 3 128 ram with win 98 se. my old hd has wind 98. first time i plugged the old drive in comp only recognized the old 10 gig drive. I dont know what to do I am new at computer upgrades and hardware issues.

2. active95

active95

Will need to make the old drive a SLAVE and the new drive MASTER ( just post the manufacturer's name and i can help ).
    After that install the old drive on the same cable as the new drive , boot up and should have no problems.
    HTH

3. gmuns65

gmuns65 Thread Starter

old hard driveis IBM
    new drive is Seagate

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Go to the Hitachi website, they're the folks that bought the IBM disk drive line. You'll find the jumpering instructions for all the IBM drives. As mentioned, jumper the boot drive as master, and the secondary drive as slave, install and hit the power switch. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice