1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding printer to workgroup fail

Discussion in 'Networking' started by njbnjb, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njbnjb

njbnjb Thread Starter

Small network/workgroup: Dell desktop w/USB printer + Laptop #1 + Laptop #2; all running Windows 7. Setting up Laptop #1 to print to printer was no trouble--at the end of the process it asked if I trusted my network and when I said "Yes" it accessed and installed the printer driver from the Dell desktop. Different story for Laptop #2: the process came to a point where it asked for a printer driver location. Putting in the printer install CD and pointing to it didn't work. So, I tried the route of setting up a new local printer port with "\\computer name\printer name." That got me to a point where I was to select the printer type from a list. My printer wasn't on the list. Using the Windows Update button yielded no results. So what next?
    P.s. All computers are configured to share everything. The printer is set up to allow sharing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice