1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding Printers

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DCommon, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCommon

DCommon Thread Starter

I've been trying to setup a new HP PSC 2210 all in one on a win98 PC but after adding the printer nothign appears in the printer folder. Other printers can be added without a problem.

I ran through the install from the CD and everything seemed to go as it should. The machine picked up when the printer was and wasn't connected to the USB. After the install everything looks like it should work but no printer appears. Checking in scanners/faxes in control panel it's picked up the PCS 2210 as a scan device and the scanning facility works fine. No problems on boot up and no problems showing in the bootlog.txt file

2. bonk

bonk Banned

3. DCommon

DCommon Thread Starter

thanks bonk, I'm already in the process of pulling them down the 330Mb file but I dont' think it's the drivers that's causing the problem. Windows just isn't letting me add the 2210 as a new hardware device. When I unistall everything windows picks up there's new hardware but once installed nothign shows in printers. When you try to "add printer" then select "have disk" none of the .inf files bring back the printer. It may be that the disk is corrupt but it's already been used once to add a device.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Try installing the drivers in Safe mode

5. DCommon

DCommon Thread Starter

Thanks bonk, I'll give it a try. I'd not thought about doing it that way. The only worry is that you need the PC to be able to pick up the printer when you're installing the drivers through the setup routine and I think the USB drivers are disabled in Safe Mode. I'll let you know how it goes.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

When you restart the PC with the Printer plugged in and ON it should pick it up.

7. DCommon

DCommon Thread Starter

I've removed the drivers and all registry entries, unplugged the printer and checked everythign's ok. I've then gone back through and re-installed the drivers without the printer being plugged in and the setup runs through without a problem. Plug the printer in and windows picks up the new hardware and asks for the drivers. Point windows in the direction and away it goes and everything looks good. Look in device manager and the 4 dot4 devices have been added. When you unplug the printer and delete the dot4prt device then re-add the printer it picks up the new hardware for the printer again. Check in the printers tab and no printers are showing as installed!!!!

As far as I can tell the hardware's being added and windows picks up when the printer is and isn't plugged in.

I've tried to re-install in safe mode but no joy and I've tried with a fresh cd of the drivers but still no joy. I've never seen a problem like this one and am at a total loss now. Anyone got any ideas?

8. Knotbored

Knotbored

When I added a new HP printer/scanner an item "HP SOLUTION CENTER" appeared on my start menu. That program is useful for scanner but also shows the status of other devises (printer/scanner/fax.) and has a settings tab. You might check if your setup added that program.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice