1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding RAM- Can I mix timings?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zeus.:God, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zeus.:God

Zeus.:God Thread Starter

I have a set of 2 1GB sticks of OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 800 PC2 6400 at 4-4-4-15 in my computer, currently... I want to add more memory for when I get Windows 7 (wanting a total of 6 gigs), but I can't find RAM of identical specs, OCZ Reaper or otherwise, and all the DDR2 Reaper I can find (different timing) is special order... So, I'm likely going to end up buying some RAM from another company. I'm looking at some G-Skill with 4-4-4-12... Should I have any issues if I go with this choice, or should I be looking to get RAM of the same timing, or go with all new RAM to be safe?

Thanks.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

tiny tiny difference, preferable to have paired matched ram running in dual channel ie if you have 4 slots coloured say 2 blue 2 red then the pairs match in those slots

3. Zeus.:God

Alright, so, my current RAM is paired up in the matching slots (I have 4 slots, 2 blue, 2 black, alternating, both sticks are in the blue, I believe)... All would be good if I were to put this RAM in the other 2 matching slots?

I assume that the new RAM (4-4-4-12) would automatically be set back to 4-4-4-15 to match my Reaper, or would they run at different timings? Would running the 4-4-4-15 on the 4-4-4-12 damage the sticks in any way? I'm not too keen on RAM, so if you could educate me a bit, it would be greatly appreciated.

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

you would put the set you have in say blue and the set you get in say black

5. daz1

daz1 Banned

ram speed is the issue not timings , if say your ram is 800hhz and your new ram is say 600 then it would all run at 600

6. Zeus.:God

Well, the speeds are going to be the same, it's the timing I was worried about. Mixing the 4-4-4-15 and the 4-4-4-12 should be OK then? The timings of the RAM will remain stock or will the motherboard adjust them to be the same?

I guess what I'm asking is if my motherboard will adjust everything so that it's the same (aside from speed, I already know that), such as voltages and timing, and if that's going to affect stability or damage the sticks, even if the timing is close?

7. daz1

daz1 Banned

nope, the mobo will sort timings out timings are very unimportant very very very unless you a total ex gaming rig nut like i was

8. Zeus.:God

Ok, so I'm all good then? Thanks a lot- 'bout to place my order.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not so fast. Timings are important since most boards are going to set ram speed/timing via spd. If the ram in the first slot [what most boards use to set spd] has tighter timings, then all 4 will be set to this spec.

Next issue; vdimm. The ocz ram needs 2.1V to run correctly at advertised timings/speed. If the other ram cannot take that amount of voltage, you risk frying the other ram.

The bottom line; it may work OR it may not. You are in effect a beta tester when you do something like this.

I had an old MSgt who when asked something like this would respond YOYO [your on your own]

10. daz1

daz1 Banned

crtjdriver is correct and cautious , guess when fixing comps all day and this issue does not arise 99.99999999% of time I tend to disregard it

i spent yrs bemchmarking and quite honestly it was a waste of a period of my life, ocz ram will overclock anyhow so voltage is negligable plus some many mobos now unlock automatically

my current ram unlocked

Enhanced Performance Profile:
    Profile Name High Frequency
    Optimal Performance Profile Yes
    Memory Speed DDR2-1066 (533 MHz)
    Voltage 2.2 V
    Memory Timings 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

11. Zeus.:God

Ok... Well, I already ordered my RAM...

Here's what I ordered:

http://gskill.com/products.php?index=167

Here's what I have:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_reaper_hpc_edition

The Reaper is 2.1v while the G.Skill is 1.8-1.9v... The specs are based off those voltages... So I should be putting the G.Skill in the first slot, and the Reaper in the second, so as to run at a lower voltage? If so, what would that mean for the Reaper- less speed and/or worse timing?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those are pretty close. I would put the ocz in the first set of slots and the gskill in the last set. Set the vdimm at 1.9V and run memtest for a while. If it does not return any errors, great. If you have a problem, up the vdimm to 2.1 and repeat. Ram chips do not have a problem increasing the voltage by .1 or so. That is not going to hurt anything.

13. Zeus.:God

Alrighty then. I take it that speeds and timing can be adjusted independently of voltage then, or...

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes. Each mb is somewhat different in how it displays menus/options. Read your manual for detailed instructions regarding bios options.

15. Zeus.:God

Well, I understand that much. I've been through the BIOS and what not, and understand what can be done, its just the way you made it sound was that speed and timing was dependent on voltage, and changing that would thereby change the other junk. Currently I can't do anything though, until I get my hard drive RMA'd.

Thanks much.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice