1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding ram to dell inspiron 5100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by followme318, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. followme318

followme318 Thread Starter

Dell Inspiron 5100
    2.4 GHz 256 ram
    xp

I want to upgrade my ram on my computer and on the dell website they lead you to DELL - 512 MB Module for a Dell Inspiron 5100 Series System
    512 MB DDR SDRAM, PC2100 / 266 MHz for the memory upgrade. I want to purchase this 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz Generic - High Density - Memory Module(PWS) but i'm not sure if the inspiron 5100 is compatible with the pc3200 and other differences. Also, which slot on the bottom of the computer do i open to put in more memory. if you have please lead me to a website with directions for installing memory. thank you

2. winbob

winbob

3. followme318

thanks alot but one more quick thing..... on the crucial website i entered in my system information and it led me to different options for momory. all the options are PC2100, does that mean my computer is compatable with a PC3200?? and what does non-ecc and unbuffered mean (curious)??

4. winbob

winbob

Well, the info I can find says the PC uses PC2100 memory. It MAY function with PC3200, but that remains to be "Tested".

Even IF it does work with PC3200, the Chip will only run at PC2100 speed with the other Chip installed.

Further if there is a MOBO limitation by design, and the PC3200 Chip manages to work by itself...I doubt it would run at 3200's rated speed.

Now as for your other Q's, read my Sig!!!!

KW's of:

non-ecc memory

unbuffered memory

will provide you with all the info you need to become an expert on the subjects.

5. followme318

whats your sig?? do you mean sight??

6. winbob

winbob

My sig....is my signature block at the bottom of my Posts....following my name.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/364994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice