adding ram

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snow-ice

I have a Compaq 4505, 166meg proc with 48 megs of ram. It has 16 meg on the board with 1 open slot which has 32 meg in it. I have a 64 meg stick that I want to install. When I tried this the CPU only saw the 16 meg. The motherboard says PWA Snipper on it which I assume is the board mfg. I tried Compaq to find out info on the motherboard but had no luck. I looked on the net but got no help. I would like to add a little speed if possible.
Thanks.

you are left with very little to work with here. that computer is only upgradeable to 48mb, so you are maxed out with ram. the cpu is upgradeable to 266 Mhz, but you can't upgrade the cpu because nobody makes a 266 Mhz cpu with the correct voltage. You will need an adapter for it and now you are puting way to much work in it. It would be difficult, but that is your only option as to ADDIND speed. You last choice is to optimize your resources. Don't use an OS over win98 because that will add some speed. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. You are lucky to upgrade the RAM as that compaq ONLY accepts Siemens pc66 RAM.

sorry.. I meant nobody makes a 266 Mhz cpu with the correct voltage anymore. You can try the adapter, but the processor upgrade is already overpriced for 266 and with the adapter you could pay up to $200. (not sure on the price of those adapters) It is not worth the cost or the trouble.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online