1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alan987654321, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan987654321

Alan987654321 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a motherboard with 2MB shared Ram for the VGA driver. I've just changed the 60MB of Ram I had in SIMM for a 128MB DIMM chip. Initially I left the SIMM in but the computer didn't see the new DIMM so I removed the SIMM and it booted up with no problems with the new 128MB.
    I have a dual boot system, and the performance has been improved in both as you would expect in both Win 95 and Win 2000 Professional.
    However in both systems the display has been altered. It is as if the display is missing some of the pixels. It is worst on the startup screens with lines that look like underscores all over the screen. On the dark blue desktop there are light blue dots all over it. The display isn't too bad in MS Word or using Internet Explorer.
    I have tried changing the monitor driver which made no difference.
    I have looked at the board but I can't see a name on it to identify whose it is.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it. What can I do to find out more information on my system so I can ask for help?

Many thanks

Alan

2. rugrat

rugrat

I'll try to get you started, In order to identify your motherboard, reboot the machine, watch the screen for your bios information (it should say something similar to Award or Phoenix followed by a version number, a date and a string of letters and numbers), copy down that info and go here
    http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html
    You should be able to find out what you have. If you have trouble, post back with the bios string.

How do I find my BIOS String ID?

AMI & AWARD BIOS
    Turn the system power off
    Unplug your keyboard or hold down one of the keys on the keyboard
    Power-on the system (you should get a keyboard error)
    Look for the long string of numbers in the lower left hand corner of your screen
    This is your BIOS identification string. It will look like one of these:
    AMI
    51-0102-zz5123-00111111-101094-AMIS123-P
    This indicates a motherboard with BIOS from 1991 to Present
    The bold numbers are the portion that identify the manufacturer
    AMI
    DINT-1123-04990-K8
    This indicates a motherboard with BIOS from 1986 - 1990
    AWARD
    2A5LEF09C-00
    Characters 1-5 ID the Chipset, in this case 2A5LE is the Via 597VP3 chipset.
    Characters 6-7 ID the manufacturer, in this case F0 is FIC.
    Phoenix BIOS

This BIOS cannot be used for ID purposes.

Good Luck

PS. If the bios string goes by to fast to copy, hit the Pause/Break key. After you have copied it, hit escape to resume booting.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice