Adding recycle bin to external drive

mike2111

Is there a way of adding a recycle bin to an external drive, as in a system drive, to easily recover an accidentally deleted file. Operating system Windows 10 home.

Thats done by default by Windows.
To see >on your desktop Right click the Recycle Bin and select Properties. There you will see a list of your drives and the size of the Recycle bin on each one.

I should have added.

Click on each drive listed and it will show you the size of the recycle bin for that drive.

mike2111

Nothing like that on mine, no mention of any drives, I have two extra drives built into the system box - Windows 10 ver 1903 - maybe only on ver 2004, which currently fails to upgrade at every attempt.

So you are saying there is no recycle bin even on the main "C" drive and or the other internal one?

from the desktop

Start > Settings > Personalization > Themes > Desktop Icon Settings > Desktop Icons > click recycle bin to place a checkmark beside it > Click Apply > Click OK

texasbullet

Ramon
What I normally do is make a file in my external drive and name it trash. Whenever I am done with anything I don't need I just move it or copy it into that file for a few months.

plodr

Liz
It doesn't depend on what version of Windows 10 you are running.
I just plugged one of my 8 external hard drives into my desktop PC, running XP and 7.

You can see the WD Elements portable external drive is listed.
external_drive.jpg

What I normally do is make a file in my external drive and name it trash. Whenever I am done with anything I don't need I just move it or copy it into that file for a few months.
Alternatively, you can do the same thing using the recycle bin. To accomplish this, just right click any file on any drive and select delete. All said files deleted will reside in the recycle bin until the recycle bin is emptied or cleaned by some 3rd party app junk file remover like Ccleaner or System Ninja.

Bassfisher is right just right click and delete what you want to and it will be in the Recycle Bin. That said Recycle Bin is per hard drive and every hard drive has one but you may have to unhide hidden folders to see it.

texasbullet

Ramon
Alternatively, you can do the same thing using the recycle bin. To accomplish this, just right click any file on any drive and select delete. All said files deleted will reside in the recycle bin until the recycle bin is emptied or cleaned by some 3rd party app junk file remover like Ccleaner or System Ninja.
Yes I know that but once I empty the recycle bin it is kind of hard to use a third party program to find it (if lucky) and if I have it stored somewhere else I can save it for at least a few months until I can determine I no longer need it, but anyways everyone has their own methods on doing their things.

Yes I know that but once I empty the recycle bin it is kind of hard to use a third party program to find it (if lucky) and if I have it stored somewhere else I can save it for at least a few months until I can determine I no longer need it, but anyways everyone has their own methods on doing their things.
Yes.....What I'm confused about, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're keeping deleted files in both locations?

If using 2.....Why?

If only using 1 and the created 1.....why create a 2nd trash bin. You're doing the exact same thing with your created bin as compared to the usage of the default bin. What you're doing in the created bin can be done just the same in the default bin.

That said Recycle Bin is per hard drive and every hard drive has one but you may have to unhide hidden folders to see it.
That I did not know.....half blind and still learning new stuff.

texasbullet

Ramon
Yes.....What I'm confused about, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're keeping deleted files in both locations?

If using 2.....Why?

If only using 1 and the created 1.....why create a 2nd trash bin. You're doing the exact same thing with your created bin as compared to the usage of the default bin. What you're doing in the created bin can be done just the same in the default bin.

On the trash folder I create I just put in there like videos, music, photos etc I use when editing videos or anything else just in case I may need it within a few months if customer might need to change something. If I don't need it by then I just delete them into the trash bin and then empty the trash bin immediately. It is just as a temporary safekeeping file. I know it sounds crazy but it can save me from a terrible thing later on if needed.

If using 2.....Why?

Hell Jimbo no one knows everything, least of all me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online