1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Adding router, no ip addresses - urgent please help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ndennee, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ndennee

ndennee Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,

My company recently needed me to expand our network with an access point. I was using a DLINK 655 router to set up as the new access point. When I thought everything was set up, I started realizing that the network was no longer issuing IP address's. There's more than one router on this network already, before I added the access point. Here's the information for the main router :

First Router (SONICWALL)

Gateway : 192.168.0.199 (static)
    SUBNET : 255.255.255.0
    DNS 1 ) 24.92.226.11
    DNS 2) 64.65.196.6
    DNS 3) 24.92.226.12

DHCP RANGE 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.199

Second Router (One I tried setting up as access point)
    Gateway : 192.168.0.192
    SUBNET : 255.255.255.0
    DNS 1 ) 24.92.226.11
    DNS 2) 64.65.196.6
    (router only allows 2 DNS)

SET DHCP range to 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.199

After setting this up, I realized that IP address's are no longer being issued for any hardwired computer on the network that I connected after making this change. The computers already in use did not loose their IP address, and still have connection. So then I logged into the first router and saw the picture that I attached. Enable DHCP is not checked, but there is still a DHCP server lease scope. Does this mean that this router is not the one that issuing the IP address's?

Attached Files:

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First...it's just my preference as well as many others that the gateway/router for a particular subnet is at the start of the IP range or at the very end. My preference has always been to set the gateway address as .1. Others like to set the router at .254 which is the very last valid host address for your subnet mask. Setting the gateway address as .199 is not intuitive and can make managing/troubleshooting the network initially a bit cumbersome.

What model SonicWall do you have?

The indicated DHCP scope range is invalid in your post. Even your screen shot shows the range to be 192.168.0.1 to .198. 199 is being used by your SonicWall.

As far as setting the network configuration of your DLink, you DO NOT want to config all of what you did for IP information on that router. To have it operate as a pure AP, the only thing you want to configure is the wireless settings and the IP of the DLink itself to manage it. You DO NOT set up DHCP to run on the DLink. Having two DHCP servers running on the same subnet is a total disaster. The IP you want to assign to the DLink is an available address from .200 to .254 as .199 is already being used by the SonicWall. This address range is chosen because it is outside of the DHCP scope which is what you want.

Another option which I would strongly recommend. Depending on the model of SonicWall you have, I would dump the DLink. SonicWall has their own APs which are managed from their firewalls. This way you have a single unified management environment which is more business oriented than hacking a wireless setup using SOHO routers configured as independent APs. Using SonicPoints which are SonicWall's APs, will allow better RF management and provide real roaming capabilities. You will not get this going down the path you are going. The only drawback with using SonicPoints with a SonicWall firewall which already has a wireless AP built in is the internal wireless AP will not operate when you add in a SonicPoint to that firewall. So you'll have to buy two SonicPoints to build out your wireless network.

I have been testing/running SonicPoints on my home network in parallel with my Aruba wireless network. So far no complaints about how the SonicPoints run. I had a SonicPoint N AP which I swapped out for their newer AC capable AP.

3. ndennee

ndennee Thread Starter

The gateways for the routers were chosen before i got here. They have the all the routers default gateways between 190-199. The model sonicwall we have is the NSA 250M. As far as the DHCP settings, DHCP is only enabled on the sonicwall right now, but its not issuing IP addresses to computers. The reason for using the DLink router as an access point is because it was extra and was just laying around.

4. zx10guy

If everything is running fine and there is no compelling reason to add additional hardware or to make configuration changes, DON'T do it. In business environments even though many setups are very elaborate, the KISS principle still applies. You don't make changes to something that works just because. I'd pull out that DLink and just leave the network alone.

5. ndennee

ndennee Thread Starter

Dlink is out now. Boss wanted it as an access point in their conference room. Since removing it from the network, the IP addresses for hardwired computers still aren't being issued.

6. ndennee

ndennee Thread Starter

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your screenshot for your SonicWall shows that DHCP is not enabled on it. Do you have a server doign DHCP or yet another router/switch? If so locate that server or router/switch and restart the DHCP service on it.

Do an IPCONFIG /ALL from a working computer and post the results.

Also, please don't use a router as an access point, I have small business clients or previous IT firms do this all the time and at some point the router will get reset and start running as a router with DHCP on and take out the whole network. Just invest in a real access point.

8. ndennee

ndennee Thread Starter

So, the server is running as a DHCP server also. When I first got here they said it was only used for the phones. DHCP is still enabled on it right now and is currently running.

1) Should i shut it down DHCP server and turn it back on?
    2) If so, would that disconnect every computer being used on the network while the DHCP server is down?

Attached Files:

• Pic.png
      Pic.png
      File size:
      65.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A Windows server running DHCP and DNS is a common setup in a domain environment, is that server at 192.168.0.3? Your screenshots indicate the DHCP and DNS servers are 192.168.0.3 and that the router/firewall is at at 192.168.0.199 which is the SonicWall right?

On the server at 192.168.0.3 go to Services.msc and restart the DHCP and DNS services.

10. zx10guy

First. Did you document what you did in terms of changes to the network when you first touched the system? If so, go backwards and restore everything back to the way it was. One of the things you will learn is to be methodical about what you do and document what you're doing. Also, it is a good idea to save off the configs of any network device BEFORE making any changes. I don't know if anyone has done this for the SonicWall.

Second. Who set up this network? Based on what I'm seeing, this required someone with more than a basic knowledge of networking to set up.

Third. Is there a network diagram of the topology of your network? While I can build one based off of the configs you've pasted, this is very time consuming and outside of the scope of the help we provide here as a free resource. A network diagram is essential on getting a clear view of how your network is laid out.

Fourth. You should tell your management that throwing someone without any networking experience to do something that seems simple is just plain bad management. They really need to bring on someone whether it be hiring an individual or bringing on a consulting company to do this work.

There is a lot going on with this network. Just skimming through the router config, you have MPLS which is through the Verizon circuit, two routing protocols (BGP and EIGRP), reference to another firewall on your network (Barracuda), just to name a few things.

11. ndennee

ndennee Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the help but what I did yesterday fixed the problem. However, I thought it was still a problem due to my computers ethernet port having issues. I tried two new computers today and they were able to get an IP address and connect to the network. I reconfigured the access point router again and turned DHCP OFF before connecting it to the network. Then I put tape over the reset button and a note on the router not to reset it without talking to me first. This should eliminate this problem from happening again.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    DHCP probably started working on the server after a while after you removed the router that also did DHCP.

The cheap home router as an access point, or even as a router, in a business irritates me heavily though. Home routers can easily reset from power blips and take down a network when it resets like you just experienced whereas an access point in the worse case scenario just means no wireless. Also a DIR-655 is an old home wireless-N router, most DIR-6xx and 8xx become unstable after a few years of use and can't handle large amounts of wireless clients either. Why are you using an old discontinued and unsupported router? Spend a bit more and get a Unifi access point or match the SonicWall and get a SonicPoint.

13. ndennee

ndennee Thread Starter

Ill pitch it to the bosses but we are just a small company and they don't really see the use for buying things like that. I was hired in February and i'm the first IT person they have had. The company has been around since the 70's. As long as everything works and we are selling our product, they don't really see a need to spend money on the network.

14. zx10guy

Well, they paid for someone to set up this network. There's absolutely no way someone put this network together by reading forums and winging it.

I'll echo Rob's disdain for using any SOHO product in a business environment. You haven't provided more details about your network. I've already discovered references to another firewall. You have VoIP. References to two wireless networks segregated via VLAN tagging. I can only assume there's an existing wireless system running. Throwing a cheap SOHO router to act as an AP in a network like this is just plain stupid. Sorry for my harshness but it irritates me to no end when I see penny wise dollar foolish decisions being made. I've dealt with this on a number of occasions as a consultant.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice